Monday, January 5, 2009

A Special Birthday...Times 10

One little, two little, three little puppies.
Four little, five little, six little puppies.
Seven little, eight little....oh, you get the picture.
And yes, it does go all the way to 10.

Just when I ran out of things to blog about, my sweet doggie comes to my rescue. We made the startling discovery as we were getting ready for school this morning. (Did anybody notice my Big Dan FINALLY got a haircut all on his own?)

Anyway, back to my dog story. I must start at the beginning.

A few months ago, Pete began harping that Dixie had become a woman and we needed to get her surgerized..if ya know what I mean. Little Ann and I pleaded with him to let her at least have one litter of puppies just for pure enjoyment. The one who I assumed would be the father was a beautiful big black lab that when bred with Dixie who is 1/2 golden retriever and 1/2 lab herself, would make pretty babies. I was just sure of it. And with 5 out of 10 of them being solid black, I'm sure I hit the nail right on the head. Surely we can enjoy them through their adorable "puppy stage" and then hopefully get a little money out of them if only just enough to pay for our expenses involved in shots and food.

We didn't keep track of the exact time, but we did know she was HUGE and felt terrible all day yesterday. We couldn't get her to come out of her kennel and she hadn't eaten in about 4 days. That and a constant limp had me worried, so we had planned on taking her to the vet first thing this morning. Needless to say, she's still got the limp, but I think she's a little too preoccupied to let it worry her too much right now. She gave birth to 10 pups between the time I went to bed and got up this morning!

Pete built a comfortable sized box for them to stay in at least for the next week or so in our guest bath. It is so cold and rainy outside, I just didn't have the heart to make them stay out even though her kennel was nice and warm with all of them inside. I didn't get much accomplisehd today for going back and forth looking at them. They are so cute I can hardly stand it. This is one of the little goldies lying in my hand.

From the moment Little Ann has been home from school, she has had a puppy in her lap at all times. I think she has been rotating, giving them all a fair share and most of them have names by now. lol.

Bless her little heart. She is so smitten she even did her homework in the bathroom floor so she could be near them. And look at this sweet little picture below. The little white one she calls "Sugar" is getting some good zzz's atop of Little Ann's sparkly blue jeans.


Don't ya want one?

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Awwww...TOO cute!! I am telling you, we are SUCKERS for puppies!! But then again, who isn't?!?!?!

Seriously though, about six months ago my BIL and SIL had Boxer puppies. Big Daddy and Muscles went over to "visit" one day and came home with Ares.

Then....a couple weeks later we went back over for a BBQ and guess who got suckered that time!?!?! Yep, that was when I (I mean WE) brought Ares' sister Bella home!!

I think my BIL and SIL got offended when I told them that we would NOT be back until the rest of the puupies had other homes!! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

so sweet! so you're granny and gramps now???

Melissa Stover said...

wow that's a nice assortment of colors! i hope we don't have that situation soon.

April said...

Oh, they are soooo sweet!!! I better not let Abby see this post or she'll be BEGGING me for one! She knows that I have a real hard time resisting puppies. They are too cute...those little faces are precious! Wouldn't it be something if that could stay that small...almost like kids? :)

Congrats on your newest additions...they are ADORABLE!

hsmomma said...

NO. :) But they ARE adorable. If only they would stay that way...

Love the haircut--what made him do it? I wish my son would get the same idea. I hate it, but some battles just aren't worth fighting, ya' know?

cmbbyrd said...

I can't believe you haven't already talked about The Bachelor from last night! Did you watch it?

Sissy said...

If we lived closer I would be in trouble. Yikes. So cute. And 10 puppies...wow!

My husband is the one who brought home our second dog when a lady brought them to his work one day. He couldn't resist her little face.

Leigh Ann said...

Yes, I do want one (not 10)!

Anonymous said...

They are absolutely darling!!!! Too bad they grow up to be big dogs! We have a St. Bernard Pup (9 months and oh, about 125lbs) and I am on the hunt for a Cavalier (tiny little adorable doggies!)

Do post more pics as they grow!!!!