Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Reflections

This will probably be my last post until after Christmas. I've been contemplating this post for a while now, thinking of just exactly what I wanted to say and what pictures I wanted to include. I'm not sure if it will come together just like I have it pictured or not, but I'm gonna try. Have I ever mentioned that I absolutely love blogging? There is just something so liberating about it. Whether I have readers or even commenters, I blog as much for myself, I think, as I do for you. It makes me dig deep inside my soul to bring out who I am. It forces me to remember things I have tucked away, and things that I have so much trouble remembering as I approach the age of 40. It brings me to old albums to search for just the right picture for the post I am preparing....and I could go on and on. And I have met so many wonderful people in the process. Thank you for continuing to be a faithful follower. I can only hope I will develop more friendships in the future as I continue my blogging endeavor.

Today, for myself, I want to reflect back on some of my most memorable Christmases. Starting with what I am assuming to be 1973 or 74 or something like that. Bear with me on these old photos. I've had to scan them while inside the album and there is some discoloring. (Did I mention being close to 40??)

I don't remember much about this Christmas, but I do love looking at how pretty my mother dressed me. And I got so tickled at how far her Christmas tree decorating has come over the past years.

This next photo must have come sometime after 1975. I'm assuming I was around 6 and my brother 2. Little Ann thinks Santa looks corny. I agree he does need somewhat of a makeover.

I love looking at our nappy heads every Christmas morning. And did anybody else have one of those Fisher Price hospitals? Remember the dinging elevator? You can't see here, but I was missing a few front teeth in some of the other photos from this morning. I must've been singing "All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth".

Let's fast forward a few years. Eventually, I did grow up. I graduated high school and moved into my own apartment in my college town. This is where I had my first taste of independence in so many ways. I remember how all I really wanted to be was a mother. I was always so afraid the rapture would occur before I had that opportunity. Little did I know what being a mother would behold for me, but I knew it would be special. I loved to play house...even in college and dreamed of what kind of wife I would make when that time came. I remember being so excited to go buy my own tree....(even though it was the cheapest one Walmart had at the time) and the limbs highly resembled the toilet brush I had in my bathroom. I was so proud of my table setting. Pretty good for 18 years old, huh?

Fast forward another couple of years when motherhood became a reality (a little earlier than expected), but I love this picture.

And I love this boy and wouldn't have had it any other way.

And this precious boy is now 18 years old himself, but I don't think he's too much into setting tables for the holidays.

My husband came into the picture when Big Dan was almost 3. He moved himself right out of his bachelor pad with a stereo and a big electric skillet into a home Big Dan and I already occupied. We didn't have much money then...(haha and still don't), but we lived on love. This is our first Christmas together along with Big Dan, my brother and his girlfriend (which is now his wife).


We'll move forward another 5 years to December 1998 which was Little Ann's first Christmas. Where Big Dan was an October baby and only 2 months old for his first, she was 9 months old and very, very busy. We had sold our little house in preparation for a bigger one where Little Ann could have her own room. We were renting a itty bitty one bedroom house while we built with a living room so tiny, I only had room for 1/2 a tree. Yes, 1/2 a tree. The front half in front of the window. It worked pretty well until Little Ann decided to pull it over. She has always been a little mischevious. Pete had to tie it to the wall with fishing line to keep her under control. That was a small house, and we were cooped up in it together for over 12 months, but we had some great times there.

In October of 1999, we were able to move into our new home where we've spent many more Christmases together and made lots of memories.

I love looking back at what the kids received and the smiles on their faces...nappy heads and all.

And although time has continued to pass me by, the memories will continue to linger and new ones will be made. Here is to a wonderful holiday season. May the Lord richly bless you in the new year. Please remember that He truly is the reason for this wonderful season.

Merry Christmas to you all.

6 comments:

cmbbyrd said...

Aawww! I loved this. The younger pictures of you reminded me of our childhood! What fun
we had!

April said...

I would have to say that was one of your best and most touching posts ever...although I have enjoyed each and every one of them! You sure know how to pull at the ol' heartstrings!

It is so much fun (and a little sad, too) to look back and relive memories of days gone by. Yes, I definitely remember the Fisher-Price hospital...I played with it all the time! That's something I had forgotten about myself, but your memory sparked one of my own. How neat is that???

I so enjoyed looking at all of your wonderful pictures. So glad you shared them with all of us!

Hey, I made your Miracle Whip Cake today and we all LOVED it! Such a good flavor and so moist! I definitely be making it more often!

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family and I'll be in touch with you in Blogland before you know it! Love ya!

Carrie said...

Awww...thanks Scrapper Mom for the trip down memory lane. That was a very sweet post!! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful reflection on your Christmas memories. Merry Christmas!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I love your Christmas memories. I was remembering some Christmas' past just this morning. I am too far behind to come up with such a beautiful post as yours. In my catching up I loved the post about little Ann's list. That is too cute, and definitely a precious Christmas memory! Have a blessed and wonderful Christmas. Jackie

Anonymous said...

Precious photos and memories... Creating more as I type no doubt, as I'm sure it would be about now that you guys would be waking up to your Christmas Day... we're just ending ours; it's been a lovely day. Hope you all have a great one too. N x