Friday, June 20, 2008

I don't like to read..

but my daughter does. She amazes me with how much she reads and I know that it's good for her so I do try to keep encouraging her. I have never been the type to be able to sit still and content for that long (unless I am sleeping or scrapbooking). I have been given book after book over the years...books for enjoyment, books finding me the key to a magical marriage, books to help me find the cure for bad attitudes and smart mouths...and I think I sent everyone of them sadly back to their owners half finished. I am convinced I cannot finish one entirely.

I have a friend who is not only immersing herself in a good book constantly, she even reads to her children! She makes her monthly trips to the library an hour away almost like a vacation, planning for it, checking out boxloads of books and returning the old ones. My daughter thinks that is the coolest and I am a terrible mother because I don't do the same. One day we happened to be in a neighboring town that actually had a library and she begged me to take her, and guess what? You can get movies at the library too!! That was much better for me, so instead of checking out boxes of books, we checked out a few movies of some books that she had just recently read at school. One of the movies was a classic..an all-time favorite "Where the Red Fern Grows". She watched the whole thing with me except the end, because she had remembered from reading it how sad the end was. How does this have anything to do with my blog? Well..if you have ever seen the movie, you will totally recognize my kids' bloggy names. My son will, from this point on, be known as Big Dan and my daughter as Little Ann.

(And if you are thinking a big fat affirmative for sure now on that bad mom stuff just because I named my kids after dogs, I did ask them first)

2 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

the sad part is that even though i love to read, that love may not rub off on my kids. i'll be devastated if they turn out to not like reading.

His Girl said...

My husband doesn't read for pleasure either... my kids and I are addicts, and any given day you'll find all of us splayed all around our houses with books strewn about, drunk with pleasure.

My poor husband. haha.