Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Retro Lunch Hour

A couple of days ago as Little Ann and I traveled the interstate, I had the radio on one of my favorite stations. It happened to be one that plays a variety of music....the best from the 80's and today. You would think that would satisfy everyone in the vehicle..but it doesn't. I still hear gripes and complaints because my music is so NOT COOL. What? How could they?

At one particular time during our trip, the dj came on and asked for requests for the "Retro Lunch Hour". They played songs like: Bostons - "Amanda", "What's Love Got to do With It" - by Tina Turner, oh and remember this one? - "Don't talk to Strangers" by Rick Springfield. Whew! What a hottie. (back in the day, of course).

I often find myself traveling back in time through music. It is the strangest thing. I know. Seems like I associate every stage in my life with a certain song..(and every boyfriend had one too). Isn't that funny?

Stuff like this - I remember jammin' to Olivia Newton John - "Physical" while cleaning my bedroom.... or another favorite from Rick Springfield - "Jessie's Girl". Remember this ladies?

I bet Jason (from the Bachelorette, of course) is singing this right about now. Poor guy.



Cheerleading dance routines to "Thriller" and blossoming teen romances to Whitney Houston.

Later on in High School - I got a little more "hard core" and graduated up to Poison or Whitesnake's - "Here I go Again" . One of my fondest memories is rockin' out to Def Leppard on our Senior Trip to Florida. Can I get a little "Pour Some Sugar on Me" or "Love Bites"? (fellow classmate reader friends of mine....I KNOW you remember this one, huh?)

When I ventured off to college, I vividly remember those long commutes singing at the top of my lungs to that song by Bobby somebody.."Don't Worry, Be Happy", or "Red, Red Wine". What exactly is that song about anyway? lol? A couple of my favorite slow tunes from 1988 (and boyfriend songs) Boy Meets Girl - "Waiting for a Star to Fall" or Sheriff's one hit wonder - "When I'm with You".

Where rap has never been one of my most desirable genre's of music, I was forced into it by another boyfriend who insisted on blowing out both eardrums with his booming bass. The louder, the better for him. I kid you not, the entire back seat was out of that little Toyota and replaced with speakers. I remember my hair blowing as I sat in front of those speakers, to the beat of Christian Artist with a little bump - DC Talk........or LL Cool J, Sir Mix A Lot, "My Posse's on Broadway" and "Baby Got Back"..oh dear. Did I listen to that? We listened to some tamer tunes too, such as New Kids on the Block, Linda Ronstadt, and Roxette's - "You've got the Look".

Oh, and did I mention drowning in sorrow over a bad breakup with Sinead O'Conner?

When Pete and I started dating, he was a hard rocker. He listened to stuff I had never even heard of like Ozzy and Dokken" etc... Never much got into stuff I couldn't understand, but we had a song. I couldn't not have a song for the one I married. It ended up being "Everything I do (I do it for you)" by Bryan Adams. We had it sung at our wedding....and that is so true. Pete sacrifices so much for us. I do believe that everything he does, he does for "us". He's a good man.

And so now...most of my listening stems back to my past. Although, I'm still one hip 37 year old mama (though my kids may beg to differ) and know the words to hits by Chris Brown and Boys Like Girls, I still sneak in those 80's tunes every chance I get.

Ah, the good ole days.....I know you have some too. What songs do you associate with stuff in your life?

14 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes! :) TOTALLY shocked over bachelorette. Crazy!!

Melissa Stover said...

i have very few musical assocations. i guess because i don't like music all that much. plus i've never listened to the right music a the right time. take for instance the fact that the song Roxanne from the Police represents to me a time after college graduation. as does Sweet Melissa. i never have the right cultural associations with the right time.
i don't even remember what we listened to on our senior trip.

Scrapper Mom said...

um...dear chickadee, I think you have forgotten your red necked boyfriend..aka Clark and the Hank Williams Jr. era of your life.

a boy a girl and a pug said...

oh the theme songs to life...."Don't Stop Believin" is always such a classic and then someone mentioned tiffany the other day so I downloaded some of hers. So fun!

tondays said...

I love "THE RETRO LUNCH HOUR" too!!! My kids can't stand it when I listen to the 80s stuff because I tend to sing a little louder and tell them stories about the what I was doing when that song was popular!!!

I so remember "Pour Some Sugar On Me" from Senior trip!!! White Snake - I loved some White Snake - used to listen to that w/EN (you know who that is!) when we were out together.

I'm thinking we need a good mixed tape of the 80s for the reunion! I so can't wait to see everyone, I'm looking more forward to it each day!

I know this post is long, but one more memory - a party at your house, it was probaby 7th grade?? - we were listening to Whitney Houston & all of us girls were really singing, the boys were having fun too - I have the video of it all in my head - The Good Ol'Days - good times, good memories!!!!!

tondays said...

i know my last comment was too long, but one more thing.

chickadee - i remember the hank jr. era too for clark and some of his buddies - i remember going 4 wheeler riding w/you & him and one of his friends and listening to some hank! those were good times too!

hsmomma said...

{sigh} I used to wish I was Jessie's Girl.... OH to be wanted by Rick Springfield a.k.a. Dr. Noah Drake.... {sigh again}

(Yes, I have an even bigger smile on my face now!) ;)

I simply love music (all kinds)and the 80s were the best in my opinion. I don't think you mentioned anything in your post that I don't still enjoy listening to. (I even like to hear 'Baby Got Back' on occasion to see if I still know all the words--haha!)

"Red, Red Wine" reminds me of a trip to Pensacola Beach a few years ago where they played it on the beach frequently.

And though I still like the Sheriff song you mentioned, it does remind me of a certain someone I'd rather forget.

I could go on and on about songs that remind me of certain times of my life or what grade of school I was in or someone I was with....and on and on and on....but I am pretty sure that Blogger will only let you post a comment so long! ;)

Great post--thanks for the trip down memory lane!

tondays said...

one more thing - there is a fairly new station locally that you would love. It plays mostly 80s music, some 70s and a little 90s, but mostly 80s - 106.7. I love this station, you should listen if you haven't alreay! I know you can pick it up because I can listen to it all the way to mom's.

tondays said...

OK - I promise to quit taking over your comments, last one!!! I was so sad today, remember Footloose, one of my all time favorite movies!!! I heard today is Kevin Bacon's bday - he is 50!!!! OMG, really, 50???!!!!!!!

Shannon said...

I would love to see pictures of your house. I'm sure you are great at decorating!

Melissa Stover said...

ok, i think ya'll remember my dating years better than i do. i really don't get flashbacks of our dating time when i hear hank jr. maybe it's because it didn't last a brief time--it lasted forever! thankfully, now clark is into christian music.

His Girl said...

Everytime I hear the B-52s, I am instantly in my red Nissan Sentra.

I totally sang along with you the entire post....


Nuuuuuuuuthing compares. Nuuuuthin' compares 2 Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

hahha.

Becky said...

There are some songs from the 70's that remind me of chocolate donuts every time I hear them. The only time I could hear the radio in college was at breakfast during summer school, when I ate chocolate donuts.

Anonymous said...

You are hopelessly lost in the 80's, but I love you anyway:) Danni