Sunday, July 20, 2008

This and That

Sundays, for some reason are turning into my day for "rambling". I'm not quite sure why this is. I guess by the weekend, my mind is jumbled full of hodge podge thoughts trying to escape into the blog.

This week we will have Vacation Bible School at our church. We have spent the past couple of days working...setting up shops for our "Marketplace", painting murals on the walls (well, I didn't paint so I can't take credit for that), and just getting things prepared in general. Although Bible School takes so much time and effort, and I am always exhausted at the end of the week, I know it is totally worth it. Pray for us this week.

Thursday was my anniversary. Thank you to those who commented and wished me a happy day. I got to eat these:
I don't know if I have any Texas readers, but my husband has discovered this Barbecue place in Texas while on the road with his job. It is "Bodacious Barbecue" and I am not kidding. These are the best ribs I have ever put in my mouth. If you are ever in Texas, you need to look one up! (they are in foil, because they are so good, we bought an extra rack to bring home with us.)

Big Dan made it home safe and sound from Teen Camp Friday. I want to tell you more about camp in a future post, but it's too long for this one. A friend of mine took this picture of him during his quiet time. Something about seeing my son during his talk with God that makes me smile.

I wanted to ask your opinion on something I have been thinking about. Big Dan will soon be 18 and I have been debating on whether or not I should open a checking account in his name. I had already been considering this, but then I got an insert with my bank statement the other day and they had offered to deposit the first $10 for you just for opening the student account. I know it's just 10 bucks, but this just kind of made me think about it again. I know they need to learn about finances, but turning my teenager loose with checks and a debit card really scares me. Does anybody have any advice on when they should get these privileges and how much to turn them loose with?

To the ones who have commented or emailed me recently with uplifting words. Thank you. I know things are going to be ok, but it's going to be a tough road ahead. Continue to keep my family in your prayers.

And once again, I will leave you with this as a last thought. Next Sunday is my birthday. While I'm not that excited about turning 38, I wanted to celebrate with you, my friends. I am going to be having my first giveaway. Nothing elaborate, but thought I would try it. If you get a chance, tell your fellow bloggy friends to stop by and read. I'll be posting details later on this week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, PLEEEASE be excited about your birthday!!! It's a beautiful opportunity to celebrate, and there are all sorts of wonderful ways in which to do so, as you would no-doubt know - you might go have some more of those ribs!!! My friend discovered she had breast cancer 10 years ago. She is still with us today, praise God, but, boy, do we know how to celebrate birthdays now!

hsmomma said...

Mmmmm....those ribs look "larrapin"!!!

About the checking account--it depends of course on how responsible Big Dan is. I used to work at a bank and I have seen too many kids get into trouble--especially with ATM/debit cards. If you do decide to open one though, maybe you should keep it at first and let him use it with you, just to teach him about it. This will allow you to teach him without letting him in your personal business AND without turning him loose with it on his on. Just a thought....

Oh, come on--get excited about your birthday!!!

I love the picture of Big Dan during quiet time. Can't wait to see how you scrapbook that one!!

tondays said...

can't help w/the checking account question, my two kiddos are still too young. we do have savings accounts for them, and they have deposited their own money, and made withdrawls when saving for something special, but that is not the same as a checking acct. good luck w/your decision, i know you will make the best one for you and big dan!

come on now, i know we graduated together, but i am older than you - i hit 38 back in Oct. and am now closer to 39. i have to say 30 hit me a little hard, but since then, i'm ok w/birthdays. you gotta celebrate and love every minute of life. i just don't look at it as getting older anymore, i see it as getting wiser, and just roll with it! just remember you will be one of the youngest at our reunion next month!!!:o)

Heidi Zawisza said...

oooohhhhhh, I LOVE giveaways!! You can count on me to enter, and advertise for you!!
oh, and the picture of your son is priceless!

Anonymous said...

About Big Dan's checking account...he will have to have one when he leaves home for college...if it were me, I would want to get him one while he was home so that I could oversee it. But be sure to sit him down and have an extensive talk about how to use it and balance it...just so he doesn't end up married one day still thinking that as long as he has checks, he has money, or that if he calls the bank, that his actual balance is what they say over the phone:) I know a couple of 40 yr olds who still think that way. At least this way you can teach him the importance of his credit and keeping receipts and writing it all down. You could even set up his own Microsoft Money account and teach him how to use it. Sounds like teaching opportunity time to me.