Monday, September 1, 2008

A day to NOT Labor

I know this may come as a surprise to you, but I often get accused of being a little ditzy. I have to admit, sometimes, I find myself much like my teenager...floating through life not really giving a second thought to the significance of things. Take the origin of holidays for instance. Do you ever think about how they became what they are? I guess common sense would tell me that "Labor Day" would be to honor the laborers. I just wanted to know more. I googled and found this information.

I found that Labor day not only creates a day off for the working citizen, but most often also signifies the start of football and the end of summer. It is also now, for us, a day of rememberance of my husband's grandmother's passing two years ago.

If it is the end of summer, that must mean it is the start of fall. I love the blogs I have read so far with the emphasis on the glories of fall. Can't wait to see pictures of the decorations, and I am going to be so excited to decorate a little myself this year since we have done some freshening up on the front porch.

I don't know if any of you have visited my mom's new etsy shop. If you haven't, I encourage you to. She is working, working. I would love to see this work out for her. These are a couple of her newest fall things.



Hope everyone had a fun day off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog looks gorgeous! I would so love to know how to spruce up mine, but I'm a gumby when it comes to working out and knowing anything regarding computers, apart from the blatant obvious... So, I'm a gumby and you are ditzy - at least we admit it, and better still, we couldn't possibly be described as boring... could we?!?!?!... Glad you had a good chat with the girlfriend... Do you feel funny talking to someone in "wise mode" when it was only YESTERDAY that you were THAT teenager?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My step-daughter's 20 and, man, I feel like I'm in a time warp, totally weirded out, when I find myself talking to her all "adult like", because it wasn't that long ago that I was in her shoes, saying the things she says, with the single-minded know-it-all approach to everything... OMGness, did the last 20 years just zoom by for you??????

hsmomma said...

Oh how I wish I had a little one sometimes! Your mom's outfits are so DARLING!!!

tondays said...

maybe, it was enough trouble for Dan to learn a little lesson at work. sounds like it did at least open the lines for you & the girlfriend - hopefully they will stay open for you. continued good luck w/it all.