Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Life Changer-Part 2

If you are just joining me, click on the link to visit
"A Life Changer-Part 1".

I guess I never really thought about what to expect on the Reservation. When we first began planning, I was excited and felt really good. The closer the trip got, I began to have extreme anxiety. I began to wonder how we would be accepted, what I would eat (I know that is lame, huh?) and the biggie...how on earth would I tell these people about Jesus?

The night before the Bible Study, we visited an elderly complex on the Reservation. I was really glad we went because it really gave me a little insight on what to expect the next day. The Pine Ridge Reservation is actually in South Dakota, so we crossed the Nebraska/South Dakota line each time we went to the Reservation. Tuesday morning we began to prepare for our study and several ladies were gathered around the table ready to get started. A woman came in with two small little girls to use the telephone in the Community Center. She didn't even know there was a Bible Study going on. I felt the Lord speaking to me and I knew she was the one meant for me that day. As our pastor's wife finished up and the other women got up to prepare lunch, I quickly invited her to stay and prompted conversation with her. I can't even begin to explain how "out of my comfort zone" I felt, but determined, knowing I could get through it with God's help. My heart pounded, and my voice shook. I couldn't even remember the Roman Road. Something I've known my entire life, but I kept on....just doing my best. As our conversation began to come to a close, I sent her home with several tracks and a Bible and she was so very grateful. She never actually prayed that sinner's prayer that moment, but I prayed with her and will continue praying for her. That seed has been planted and that's all I could do. I ask that you pray for her as well...her name is Doris. Even if only one person gets saved, then 2,500 miles was totally worth it.

We spent time walking through the village handing out tracks. I was ever so proud of Little Ann. I can't even tell you the pride I felt as I watched her little hands place those tracks inside the doors of the people not home and into the hands of the ones that were.

As we were covering territory on the Reservation, Doris spotted me and invited me into her home to meet her family. As I stepped inside, her aunt commented to me that she had tried to read the Bible I had sent with Doris, but the print was too small. I promised to send her a Bible with large print. Tell me that is not awesome.

During our time on the Reservation, we had an Indian Taco Supper for the Natives. I think I am safe in saying we had over 150 people that came out. I know a lot was probably the time of the month and I know it was probably the only thing most of them got to eat that day, but I was afforded more opportunities to witness because of this.

Earlier in the day I had met a lady named Valerie. Little Ann really took up with her because she made jewelry and it was beautiful. It was so interesting to watch her make it from porcupine quills. (Yes, we brought some home). Because of the connection she had made with my daughter, I really felt the Lord leading me to speak with her about her salvation. We had such a good talk and I am fairly certain she has Jesus living in her heart today. She cried because she has been battling an addiction to alcohol for so long..as most of the people there do. My heart really went out to her. She says she is clean now and she can feel God's presence. Wow.

I can tell you I don't know how many visits it will take to win these people. The task at hand is a tumultuous one. They are set in their ways and it is not easy to get them to "understand" the truth. Our pastor's wife said they seemed to be more receptive this time than when they were on the field there.

Think about these people and pray for them. I know it is up to us to carry out the great commission...up to God to prepare their hearts.

6 comments:

Aubs said...

These people will most definatly be in my prayers. What an amazing experiance and opportunity to share the Gospel! Do you know when you are going back yet?

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your "Life Changing" experience! So, exciting and fulfilling for you. I think it's good to step outside our comfort zone every now and then, especially if we are stepping out for God's glory. Looking forward to reading more. Bless your heart...

Anonymous said...

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Are you awake??? I see you saw Huck Finn already!!! I thought it would be sleepy time in the early morning for you... Anyhoo, I'm back because I'm after the thingamee-widget tracker thingo. I went to do it before, but then we had "issues" about bedtime with a certain 3 year old who shall remain nameless... So, here I go again. Wish me luck - I'm no good with techno doodads. Oh, I'm so glad you're back home!!! xo

Heidi Zawisza said...

Wow! I know what you mean about being pride filled watching your daughter "witness". We felt the same way in the Dominican watching our children interacting with the native children....it was AWESOME to see them doing God's work!!! What an amazing experience you have been given. One you will cherish forever, and never forget!!!!

Shannon said...

This all sounds so amazing! And soooo amazing that you got to be apart of it.

Daphine said...

Hi,
I'm one of April's blogging buddies. I've been meaning to visit your blog for a little while now and I'm so glad that I did tonight. I so enjoyed reading about your trip. How exciting! I can totally relate to you seeing your Little Ann handing out tracks. My oldest daughter had the opportunity to go on a mission trip over the summer and it was just a wonderful experience for her.

I'll be stopping by again. Please feel free to do the same.

Daphine