Sunday, September 28, 2008

Heading Home...The Scenic Route

If you are just stopping by, I encourage you to "catch up" by reading these posts first. Part 1 and Part 2 of our Mission Trip.

Now carry on...

If I had one wish for our trip, it would've been that we could have spent more time on the Reservation. It took me weeks in advance to prepare myself mentally for what I was called to do on this trip, and as I said yesterday, even when I was staring the opportunity square in the face, I was still a nervous wreck. BUT there was something so rewarding about it all. And I just simply did not get enough. Once I did it. Once I actually jumped right out on that limb, trusted God to give me the words, and thought about how He used me to be His vessel, did it become a reality. I wasn't satisfied leaving. I felt like I just simply did not do enough. I've since realized that there is a world filled with lost people and just because I have left the Reservation does not mean my job is complete. I am excited about seeking out opportunities to witness for Him in my own home town.

I had thought this post might actually wrap up my trip, but I'm just not sure. We did a lot of sight seeing on the way home and I have some beautiful pictures. I'm not sure I can pick just one or two.

Once we got on our way, a few miles up the road we encountered this absolutely breathtaking sight!!


This is what they refer to as the "Badlands" of South Dakota. Our pastor calls it a mini Grand Canyon. I was taken back by the beauty.

Although Rapid City was 2 hours out of our way, who could actually be that close and not take the opportunity to see Mount Rushmore? I was so excited. I live an extremely sheltered life and although we travel some, we seem to stay pretty close to home. I mean, I've ventured out as far as Florida several times, been to several towns in the big state of Texas, up to Branson, Missouri a few, and to visit relatives in Kentucky, (I'm sure I'm forgetting something), but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd be seeing this!!!

Oh dear Presidents, how beautiful you look carved in this mountain of rock. I almost peed in my pants as I came around the curve and up the hill and saw you.


And Mr. Washington, please don't take offense to my photographing your profile. I totally understand how you might hate this...especially if you have a big nose. I should've asked if this was "your good side".

I still have a couple more stops to make on the scenic route home, so I will do you a favor and split them up into two posts again. I don't want to overload you...and I am getting rather sleepy tonight.

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

April said...

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed reading all about your trip. There is no doubt whatsoever that you played a huge roll in winning some souls for Christ. God Bless You for stepping out of your comport zone, as many of us are so reluctant to do.

That is really neat that you got to see Mt. Rushmore! I've visited many different places, but that's something that's still at the top of my "must see" list. I can't wait to read more! Have a great day! :)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, and the one of you with your girl is gorgeous! That was amazing scenery. Hope your getting a good night's sleep...

Rae said...

Such wonderful pictures! I have never been to Mt. Rushmore. I'm so glad you all were able to make the detour and go. George Washington looks quite distinguished. I think you definitely got his good side!

tondays said...

I've been reading about your trip. Glad it went well for you & you got to see some great things along the way too.

I love that picture of Mt. Rushmore, I would love to see it sometime!