Thursday, September 18, 2008

Parenting...Ups and Downs

Hey all. I couldn't actually say anything about my photo I posted yesterday, because then it wouldn't have been "wordless", but I just thought that was the cutest picture of Dixie. I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I liked your comments.

I know some people actually plan their blog posts out a week in advance. I'm sorry. I just can't do that. For one thing my life isn't all that exciting, and for another, I am just a kind of go with the flow person. Whatever hits me at the moment is what I may talk about. Today, in light of events regarding my children, I'd just like to share what I feel are some ups and downs of parenting.

Tonight, it has just been delightful watching Little Ann prepare for her upcoming 4-H election. She is running for Reporter. She absolutely loves to write stories and take pictures. (Hmmmm..wonder where she got that.) Anyway, we have been like little busy bees printing out campaign posters...


putting campaign tags on suckers...(sucking up...lol),


and preparing a speech.

She wrote it all by herself and it was very impressive. We will be gone on our mission trip next week when the actual election takes place, so she is trying to get her campaign ready for tomorrow!! She has been all smiles tonight as she has been putting all this together. I love how she gets something on her mind (as crazy as her ideas may be sometimes) and goes with it with such determination.

Today, Big Dan had some issues at school and I couldn't help but think about my devotional I read yesterday. It is so applicable. I do hope that one day he will look back and appreciate what Pete and I have tried to teach and instill in him.

Listening to the Past -

He taught you how to keep your checkbook. Month in and month out, you sat together at the kitchen table and marked off cleared checks striking a neat balance.

Listen to your father's instruction. What do you hear?

Sure. He made mistakes. Some fathers made many more than they should have. But from his instruction, you have become the person-and the parent-you are today. What values do you hold now because of his past instruction?

She made you make your bed every morning. There was no leaving the house until it was done.

Listen to your mother's teaching. What do you hear?

No matter what confused you in the past, today you can lay your hand on some principle from your mother that you have applied in your own mothering. What is it?

Even though we are grown women and mothers ourselves today, the instruction of our fathers and the teaching of our mothers still have something to say to us. If we will listen.

Proverbs 1:8 & 9 - Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.

12 comments:

Rae said...

Good luck, Little Ann! You look quite prepared!

I wish I had some words of advice for Big Dan. Instead I offer you my listening ear and prayerful heart!

Unknown said...

Good luck with the elections! Your daughter is beautiful and so is your page. :)

McCain and Palin all the way!

Unknown said...

PS

In my recent experiences with my future stepson...boys seem to learn after the deed has already been done. They take their own way along the stepping stones of life.

tondays said...

good luck to Little Ann - I hope she wins!


hopefully Dan learned a few lessons today - good luck! perfect devotional and scripture for the problem at hand.

Twice as Nice said...

Good Luck to Ann. It really a good thing that she works so hard and is determined when she sets her mind to something. A lot of us wish we were like that. As far as your son I think you are doing the right thing. They will never learn if we do everything for them. Of course it's hard for us to see them unhappy but at the same time HE did this to himself. He will be just fine. Let us know how well he's doing in a couple of weeks and if he KNOWS and GOES by the rules :o)

April said...

I think Little Ann just might be our next Vice President one day. What do you think? I wish her lots of luck and am sure she will do great! Isn't it wonderful to watch our children strive hard for what they want? Then, to have them succeed is just icing on the cake.

I will say a prayer for you in regards to Big Dan. Dealing with a teenager can be so hard sometimes. Trust me, I know! I keep telling Brittany that, one day, all of my words of wisdom and advice WILL make sense to her and she'll realize that I knew much more than she gave me credit for.

I loved your devotional and how true it is! I lost my mom in 2000 and my dad in 2006 and all they taught me has been passed down to my own children. The "life lessons" I share with my girls came from my own parents. They set such good examples for me to live by and I hope and pray I can instill those same prinicples in my daughters. Hang in there!!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I remember those days, and as a recent empty nester, I have been able to reflect as to where I could have done better, and letting them reap the consequences was one. I sounded a lot like you, because my nature is to fix it. I will never forget the day my son came to me a wept over something that God had convicted him about, and I knew he was getting it. I now learn a lot from him. Sounds like you are doing all that God wants you to do. Jackie

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Oh, I forgot I love all of the campaign stuff, and looks like she is prepared, and I know will do a wonderful job. I do hope she wins!Jackie

Anonymous said...

Oh, this was a great read! I'm going back to take notes. Wish we lived near each other. We would have such great chats!!! And IMAGINE the scrappin'!!! Enjoy the weekend.

hsmomma said...

Looks like Little Ann is running a great campaign!

It is so hard to watch our children suffer the consequences of their actions. I find myself wanting to keep mine from "falling in the mud" so often. My husband and I are both big fans of 'life teaching' though. As in, there will always be a consequence. I tell my children ALL the time, that they will be under someone else's authority forever!

Have a great time on your missions trip. We'll sure miss you!

Shannon said...

You should video your daughters speech and put it on here! She looks so professional! :)

Heidi Zawisza said...

Terri, Hang in there!! You seem like an OUTSTANDING devoted mother that stays on her knees for her children. What else can you do? And yes, you are right. They will have to learn consequenses all by themselves. It's really the only way they will grow.