Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thoughts

Today, I was scheduled to sub at the High School. When I first woke up, I went about my normal routine..getting myself ready prior to waking the kids up, getting clothes laid out and lunches fixed, never actually giving thoughts to what today is.

As I arrived at school, picked up my room key, and browsed over my lesson plans, I realized that it was the 7 year anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. It seems like such a long time ago, yet still so fresh as if it was yesterday. Such a sad day.

The teacher had left some food for thought for the students and requested they write a 2 paragraph "essay" on what they remembered about that dreadful day. Where were they when they got the news? Who told them? Did they spend the day watching footage? Do they remember the sadness in the hearts of the people?..and has it impacted their lives in any way?

The 2nd paragraph was to tell of how it is impacting us today. Does it at all? What kinds of changes have been made to keep this from happening again? and are we ready?

I read the teachers personal thoughts she left for her students, adding my own in as well....over and over with each new class for the duration of the day. Many of my students today were only 6 or 7 years old when it happened. I told them of the new expectant mothers who lost their husbands and babies that never got to meet their daddys. It still tears my heart out just thinking about it.

What about you? What kinds of answers do you have to these questions? Have you been directly affected by these attacks, and how have you coped?

If you are still struggling to find peace, please let me pray for you, and refer to my yesterday's post.

8 comments:

tondays said...

I still remember it vividly too, and can't think about it without thinking of those babies who would never know their fathers (at least on earth).

April said...

I wrote about 9/11 on my blog yesterday. Like many of us, it was a day I don't think I will ever forget. It causes you to cherish those things that matter most (God, freedom, family and friends) even more than before.

Shannon said...

I wrote a little about it yesterday. It was such a sad day.

Heidi Zawisza said...

What a sad sad day. Carter was only 3 months old the day it happened, and I remember feeling so scared watching it unfold on the news. I tried to get a hold of Craig, and all the phone lines were busy. I was terrified that they were somehow headed for Atlanta next, and Craig was nowhere to be found. So many tears that day were shed. It took MONTHS to feel safe in my own home again.
I also had people I knew that worked in the towers, and I of course couldn't get a hold of anyone to confirm their safety. Finally late that evening, I was able to talk to their family in CT, and they were fortunately not in the city that day.
What an incredibly horrific day this country experienced.
And so my question is......HOW IN THE WORLD CAN WE VOTE IN A MAN WHO DOESN'T THINK WE NEED ALL THE PROTECTION WE ARE STRIVING FOR IN OUR COUNTRY????
He makes me SICK!!
Anyways, thanks for your awesome post....as always.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I too remember that morning. I thought when I overheard someone telling about it in a store, that it must be a terrible exageration of some sorts. One of the feeling that I have is the great sadness I feel for those who are so blind to the real truth. I am so blessed to have been brought up with a family that desired that I know the Lord. My prayers today are for those that do not know HIM. Have a blessed weekend. Jackie

Kim Hancock said...

I was pregnant with my second child and was having my sonogram to determine the sex of the baby. My sonographer received two phone calls while we were back there. It seemed serious, but we assumed it was something to do with her children or mother. As we left the office I remember feeling like we were the only people with smiles on our faces. We didn't find out what happened until we got out to the car and the news was on the radio. The video from that day of our family's one and only name sake spans the time of the attacks on the towers.

Kim Hancock said...

You've been tagged...check out my blog! Hope you had a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

The entire day is etched clearly in my memory. Such a horrific act. Such atrocious crimes against the innocent... I still get a deep-seated ache in my heart when I think or hear or see anything to do with that day. My first baby boy was only 8 months old - I'm sure he knew his Mama was sad... he sat looking at me over his Dad's shoulder as I silently cried, and he was pulling a frowny face, then a happy face, and then a frowny face again, alternating with each one, until he had my attention fully, and then he just smiled this big smile like he was telling me it's all ok. But, even in Brisbane, a half a world away from the tragedies, 'things' never really 'seemed' ok, and still don't. The world changed forever that day...

I'm missing you!!! I'm hoping your working week went smoothly and that you've enjoyed a restful weekend. Love and blessings... Naomi