Thursday, October 9, 2008

Another Life Lesson and some AWARDS!!

No, I'm not a preacher.

But, I have found that my latest morning devotionals have bit me right in the buttocks! I know from reading some of your past posts that you are going through some of the same things as well, and I just wanted to share these thoughts..or reminders. If they help you, then it was worth it.

Do you have the same problem with that sharp little tool between your teeth that I do?

Proverbs 12:18-19 - Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.

The tongue is a two-edged instrument of power. With it we can lash apart a loved one, leaving deep scars. We've seen our children's confidence wilt after our tongues strike a blow. We have torn our husbands apart thoughtlessly with our condemning words. The tongue has the power to destroy.

BUT.. thank goodness it also has the power to build up and heal. It can just as easily offer solace for the open wounds around us. Why don't we try those 3 little word groupings such as "You look great".."Good for you!" or "I love you" more often. And how about this one? "I forgive you". These can transform our human lives.

Ok, I just thought that was good. Hope you did too.

********************
AWARD TIME!

Guys, I have just been so blessed with the greatest bloggy friends and I thank you so, so much for these awards. I look forward to reading your posts every day and I get so excited writing my own and then checking in to see what you have to say about it. I love your encouragement, your wit and the way you make me smile. Because I have 3 awards and a blog roll that isn't very long...I'm only going to choose 3 for each award. Although I would give you all an award. If I didn't love your blog, you wouldn't be on my list!

This first award is the SMILE award. There are several characteristics that one must display in order to be considered for this award. They are:
-displaying a cheerful attitude
-showing love to others
-makes mistakes
-learns from others
-contribute positively to the blog world
-loves life and kids!

For this award I choose:
1. Big Mama's Blog - Oh. my. goodness. Does she ever make me smile. There isn't a post that she writes that doesn't have me grinning from ear to ear. Even when she's sick, she cracks me up!

2. His Girl's Blog - Amber is a funny one too. I so enjoyed the post where she videoed herself. She is deep and profound, but she can definitely make me smile!

3. Sugar and Spice - Although I just recently added her to my blog roll, this girl has always got something interesting going on in her life. With as many little girls as she has in her family, it's got to be exciting. I love how she takes the good with the bad and continues to smile. She deserves a smile award hands down.

You know the rules. Your supposed to choose 5 to pass this along to. Of course, post the characteristics and the rules for this award. Make sure you link back to who gave it to you and be sure and thank them, and share your win with the rest of the blog world.

********************

The next award is the BFF (Blogging Friends Forever). Of course the rules for this one is to pick 5 and pass it on. Four of who you choose are to be dedicated followers and one who is a newbie or lives in a far away land.

1. Can you do this? I don't know, but I'm sending this award right back to April who gave it to me. She is a dedicated follower and I so wish I knew her in real life. We have lots in common and I love hearing from her every day. Thanks April and here's right back at ya!!

2. This one is for my dear friend, Angie. She is so much like me it's scary right down to the red hair. She is another one I'd really like to meet. She is very dedicated to my blog and was one of my very 1st commenters. Thank you Angie!

3. I have to give this to Naomi for sure. She is a special one too. She always knows how to lift my spirits when I'm down and boosts my confidence every time I post a scrapbook page. She lives in Australia and how I would love to hear that Aussie accent. (lol)

********************

And last but not least, the "I love your blog" award. This one is hard, because I love all of your blogs, but being as how I'm only choosing 3, makes it tough.

1. Chickadee has to get this one. I love her blog with all my heart. Reading her blog was how I even entered into the blog world myself. She has been a real life long friend of mine. We go to church together and our girls are friends. She is such an excellent writer and her post are always wonderful and refreshing to read.

2. Christy deserves this award too. I absolutely love her blog. She has the sweetest disposition about her. I love how she writes the most precious things about her family and oh, how she loves the Lord. I never miss a post. They are invigorating to me.

3. This last one goes to Rae. Rae is a frequent commenter of my blog too, and I appreciate her. Her posts are real. If she feels it, she writes it and I admire that. I especially liked the letter she wrote to the little guy with the potty mouth. You go girl.


Of course the rules are: Recipients put the logo on their blog, link back to the person that sent it, nominate 7 others, and link up to them. Make sure you leave messages for everyone telling them they've been nominated!

Wishing everyone a happy Thursday!

12 comments:

April said...

Thank you so much for bestowing the "Blogging Friends Forever" award on me!! You get another Bless Your Heart for that!! :) I so appreciate your sweet words. I, too, wish we knew each other in real life. I think we have a lot of things in common and our minds operate in the same way. I've really enjoyed getting to know you and I hope it continues.

You couldn't have given me the award on a better day. Chris has been gone for three nights this week and won't be home until Monday. Of course, I will see him tomorrow afternoon when he drives up for Brittany's cross country meet...but, I miss him. Then, my dogs have been gone, too. They're with Chris because we didn't want to have to board them since I'm staying with the cross country team tomorrow night in a hotel. The house is so quite when they're not around. Then, of course, Abby's birthday is on Sat. and it's the birthday of someone else very near to my heart. It's causing me to be pretty emotional. You'll see it on my blog on Saturday.

Anyhow, sorry for rattling on and on, but I just wanted you to know how very much I appreciate your thinking of me. Hope you have a wonderful day!! :)

Christy said...

Thank you very much for the award. I am honored:)

Have a wonderful day!!!

Rae said...

Oh, how my little tongue can get me into BIG trouble at times! You are so right...if I only took a split second and said, "You are the best!" instead of something less than kind, just think how blessed all of our lives would be! What a wonderful reminder! Thank you!

And thank you for the award! You have earned some fabulous awards and you deserve every single one! congratulations! I feel so blessed to have received this award from you. Many, many thanks!!

hsmomma said...

AAAAAAH!! I am so excited! Thank you for your kind words and being so faithful to my blog. As close as we live to each other, there is simply no reason NOT to meet!

And for the record, I will pray for all of you because my tongue NEVER gets me in trouble!!! (hehehehe). Thanks for sharing your devos--they always give me a swift kick in the pants too!

Melissa Stover said...

thank you. see, i told you blogging was fun.

Laurin Pearce said...

I love what you said in the beginning of your blog is was a nice reminder! I loved reading about your randomness as well!! You are always sweet and positive! Love your blog! I'll keep reading!!

Carrie said...

I swear we must be going thru the same things at the exact same time, first the lack of feeling needed or appreciated by our teens And now this...

You don't know how many times a day I wished that my family would take the time to calm down and speak nicely to one another around here.

I think between school, work and just the everyday stresses we all go thru, we tend to take our frustrations out on one another.

Thanks for the encouraging words...it made me really stop and think!!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Happy Thursday to you too!!!
And about the tongue thing, I sooooo needed to hear that today!! Thanks!

Daphine said...

Yep, I think a lot of us need to be reminded more often of Proverbs 12:18-19. You have such a way with words. I really enjoyed reading this.

Congrats on your awards!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award, Luvvy! You are too sweet!!! Now, I know you posted the instructions, but when April gave me an award, and I tried to give back, following the instructions didn't work for me... But, next week I'll give it another go, and hopefully have success. I so don't have a computer head...

You want to hear my accent!!! Classic! I didn't think I had one!!!

I've broken my 'break' 'cos it's a rainy Saturday morning, and the boys are playing cars with cousins after a sleepover, and all is quiet and calm... for how long, I wonder... I'm just wanting to let you know how very touched I am by what you, and the other darling bloggers, have written to me. And I'm glad I've popped in as I love what you've written in this post.

So, thanks again for everything. I'm seriously NOT turning the computer on until next Wednesday now, so "See ya later!" Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Found your blog through Rae's. Very cute blog might I add. Congrats on the awards!

Leigh Ann said...

You know, I've been thinking a lot about forgiveness lately. Thank you for sharing this with me. I really needed to read it.

P.S. I sent you an e-mail. :)