Sunday, October 19, 2008

An Eventful Weekend

Hello all, It's me....a little sore....and a lot tired, but I'm back. We had a great weekend, but I must admit, tent life is definitely for the birds. Next time, and I stress if there is a next time, I will have an air mattress under my behind when I sleep.

Just a little heads up for you.....This may be long. I'm going to include several pictures with this post. There are just so many good ones, I just couldn't decide.

Friday, the girls all met up at the school to head to the park site where we would set up camp. Their first attempt at a "girl scout duty" was to get the tents set up.

Next up was to get the fire going. Yes, my little pyromaniac, Little Ann was one of the fire cheifs on first shift. Her daddy had taught her lots of neat tricks for starting a fire. One of the methods (and the one she chose to use) was touching a battery to a piece of steel wool. She blew on it a little to help it spread. I was impressed that it actually worked.

Here are the 2 fire chiefs on fire patrol while everyone else scurried around the site, completing set up, unpacking and preparing for dinnertime.

After set up, the girls roasted a few hot dogs over the fire, and our picky eaters fixed up some Campbells soups on the burners.

Every year, this particular state park, hosts what they call a "Ghost Roast" usually on or the weekend before Halloween, depending on the day it falls on. All of the tenants set up their campers usually for the whole month and decorate their spots. There is a contest for the best one. The kids love this and absolutely flock to it every year. Our girls were fortunate enough to catch a sneak peek of the sites as nightfall came and the park lit up with orange lights and sounds of ghouls.

Here is one of the camp sites I photographed as I walked past.

Of course, no camp out is complete until everyone sits around a campfire roasting marshmallows, making s'mores and singing campfire songs in their pj's......

Saturday, we rose up from our slumber fairly early to meet the day...well, actually some of us were already awake, because some of us never really got to sleep, because some of us had to sleep in a tent, and some of us didn't have an air mattress to sleep on. And I can thank my frugile hubby for that one. At breakfast, it was every man for himself. They each cooked their own pancakes, and others pitched in to fry up some bacon and eggs.

The weather was absolutely perfect for our midday hike. I swear, Little Ann had everything in her backpack but the kitchen sink.

And just as we were about to head out for our 3 mile adventure, I noticed the sun glistening through our own camp site Halloween decoration!

I can't say that I am a hiking kind of gal, but this one was quite enjoyable. Like I said before, the weather was gorgeous, the trail was nice and spacious, and I just enjoyed spending this day with Little Ann. She had the greatest time.

At the end of the hike, the girls had a little down time at the play area in the park. We left shortly after this so we would have time to stop my mom and dad's house to check on the newest member of our family.

Meet Amelia. She was born Thursday evening.

Thursday, Little Ann and I had actually just stopped by my mom and dad's for a brief visit and so meemaw could sew a few Girl Scout patches onto a blanket...unknowingly mother Abigail was in labor......lol. I can't say I have ever seen a calf born before now. Isn't she adorable?

Today has been such a good day too. My brother and his wife have reconciled after 10 long months of separation and an almost finalized nasty divorce. It was a shock to all of us and will take a long road of healing for everyone, but we are making a start. She and the boys came to church with my brother today and it was such a blessed feeling seeing them in the row in front of me again. Right were they should be. The boys like to sit with me and color and I just eat it up.

Tonight, a group went to our local Sunday night Mexican hangout and they went along for that too. I love sweet fellowship with my church family. If you haven't already, tell your pastor how much you appreciate him....this is Pastor Appreciation Month.

I guess I will go to bed now. I am substituing at the High School tomorrow!!

Have a great week!

14 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

oh my goodness i'm glad i didn't sleep in a tent! but the hike did look like fun.

hsmomma said...

Let me just put your mind at ease--it's no better with an air mattress. :) I have been camping three times: The first, an almost enjoyable experience, the second--not so much, the third--pure "you know what" and I have vowed to never do it again.

The calf is adorable!!

I am so glad to hear that your brother and his wife have reconciled. I know you have prayed many prayers for them. I pray that God will restore their marriage and they will be happier than ever before!

Now we need to both get our behinds in the bed! (You too, chickadee!!!! All that Fun Dip gotcha' wired????) :)

Anonymous said...

Firstly, I just have to send up a huge "YAY" for your brother and his wife. Hope all goes well and Godly there...

Secondly, LUV! In order to get any semblance of sleep camping out, one MUST take ones lovely thick foam mattress, that even when rolled up takes up a lot of packing space, but it is the ONLY way a Mother can sleep comfortably, and so it is worth squashing the kids in the back of the car with all the other paraphernalia... Definitely! It is the only part about camping that I definitely will not 'rough it' - no ifs or buts.

Thirdly, I enjoyed seeing all your potential scrapable photos, but you know that I now only have eyes for Amelia!!! When she's weaned, could you please ship her over here... what a DARLING!!! So, lovely that Little Ann can get up close and personal...

Hope you have a good week, and that sometime soon a little something makes it's way to you... Blessings. Naomi x

April said...

Oh, I knew you were going to have such fun...minus the sleeping in a tent part! See now why I prefer a camper?? I don't know if I'll ever sleep in a tent, again, as long as I live! Nothing fun about "being one" with all the creepy crawlies on a dirt floor. Yuck!!

Your pictures are great! I love how the girls always have big smiles on their faces. I promise, the trip is one they'll always remember. You will, too, I'm sure! :)

That's wonderful news about your brother and his wife. The Good Lord is definitely at work there!

That baby calf is just too sweet! My daughter, Abby, would adopt her in a heartbeat!! :)

Have a wonderful day!!

Twice as Nice said...

It looks like everyone had a great time. It's a time they will always remember.

Great news about your brother and his wife! Especially for the children.

Sissy said...

Thank you, thank you for your comments today. I pout sometimes and I gotta get it out, but I am thankful that there are other women out there who can stand in the gap and keep praying when I can't. Thank you.

Shannon said...

It looked fun eventhough you didnt have an air matress! :) I've never camped without one. I'm a baby!

Rae said...

I hope you've recouped from your weekend. It looks like it was loads of fun. I love Little Ann's red glasses! The campsite all decked out is really neat!! I wonder if my Brownie troop will one day down the road want to go camping. Yikes!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Sounds like a great weekend for the two of you, and wow! wasn't that one campsite decked out. The weather here was wonderful this past weekend so I am glad it was beautiful there.What a memory! Jackie

Nicole said...

Your pictures are adorable. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm not very good at camping either :) That baby cow is so sweet.

tondays said...

oh, girl, i never go on a girl scout camp out (or even one of our lock-ins) with out my faithful air matress! we have been camping so many times, if you ever do it again, give me a call, I am an old pro & know lots of secrets to make it more comfortable.

Laurin Pearce said...

That looks like a super fun time!! I loved all the pictures and you seemed so happy to talk (opps I mean blog about it!)! Hope that your week is going super well!

Anonymous said...

Hello Luv! Still recovering? Hope you're having a wonderful week...I'm wondering if the parcel I sent went 'airmail'... hope so. If so, it should be there soon. Bless ya!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Camping? You are a FAR better woman than I am!!! Way to go!
Oh, and I laughed out loud at your comment on my blog!! Glad I'm not alone!!!