Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Letter from Mom

October 30, 1990 - 7:00 am - They are opening mom's tummy. It's hard to believe there is a baby in there! 7:01 - Still working.. 7:02 - No baby yet, almost..they are hunting for him. 7:04 - Doctors are being careful not to give baby a haircut on his birthday... 7:05 - Not yet. 7:07 - I think I see, not sure..this is harder than I thought! 7:09 - I see his head...It's a boy and he's HUGE!

My Precious Son,
These are the words written down in a journal by Ms. Sara. She watched anxiously outside the door keeping notes for me as you were being brought into this world 18 years ago today. I will keep these and cherish them forever.

Words cannot express what I am feeling today. Some happiness and some sadness. Happy that you have had such a good life surrounded by people that love you so much and want the very best for you and sad that my work is almost done. I am so thankful that God has allowed me to be your mother and entrusted me with the job of raising you to the best of my ability. I know you haven't always agreed with decisions your dad and I have made for you, and I know you feel you got the short end of the stick because you were the 1st born...sort of a trial run, you say. That makes me laugh. Maybe one day parents will get a manual with their children, and then they can make sure they always get it right the first time.

Being a mother to you has made me feel complete over the past 18 years. It has been the most important thing in the world to me. I can't think of anything I would've rather done with my life. You have made me laugh and you have made me cry, but my prayer is that you will always cherish our good times and learn from the bad. And just so you know, even though you are grown, I will always be here for you no matter where life leads. I love you more than words can say.

Happy 18th Birthday, sweetheart.


Godspeed - (noun): A successful journey.
Music & Lyrics by: The Dixie Chicks

8 comments:

April said...

Oh, I can't handle this at 5:30 AM!!! I have tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this. That is the most beautiful tribute I have ever seen!

I love the sweet letter you wrote. That's something your son, though he may not realize it now, will ALWAYS treasure. It is written from your heart and I can feel your deep love for him. Regardless of how old our children grow to be, they will always be our babies.

The video is beyond words, especially with that song! Talk about a tear-jerker!! It was so neat to watch your son grow into a young man. I know you must be so very proud of him. To think that I will soon be in your shoes is more than I can bear to face. The hardest part of being a parent, to me, is letting go.

I hope your son has a wonderful 18th birthday and thanks God above for blessing him with such a great mom! Enjoy your day...I'm off to get some Kleenex!!

Anonymous said...

Well, you've just made me cry! That was so beautiful to watch. Oh, I don't know what else to say - the lump is still in my throat!!! I can barely see the keyboard anyway... Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful... Happy BIRTHING Day to you, Sweet Girl! And happy birthday to your handsome boy... I wish I could give you a big hug - I know it would make me feel better!!!...

cmbbyrd said...

That was so sweet. I especially loved the pictures of him and his little sister together!

Aubs said...

Oh my goodness....i'm over the top emotional anyway and this just did me in! What a special day to reflect on the blessing he has been to you! I can't even entertain the thought that i will be in your shoes one day...NO WAY! This was a great post and a very special tribute. And i agree with april....that song was a total tear jerker but Praise God that you can look back and see what a wonderful journey its been! And no matter how big he gets or how much he denies it, he will ALWAYS need his Momma!! =)

Shannon said...

What a beautiful birthday message! Tell him that Blogland says, "Happy Birthday!".

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday to your son. This was such a sweet post. Kids just grow up way too fast don't they. I really wish sometimes I could slow things down. Thanks for your sweet comment, your not a bad blogging friend, life just gets crazy!

Leigh Ann said...

Tears! Tears! Tears! I'm a mess! What beautiful post. Time with children goes by way too fast. What a wonderful way to show what a happy time you guys have had over the last 18 years! Happy b-day to your son. He is a lucky boy to have you for a mom. Have a great day with him!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Okay, I am sooooo crying right now! What a SWEET letter and an awesome video! You are an amazing wonderful mother, and dan and Ann are so lucky to have you!

BTW...you might think your job is almost done, but trust me, he will ALWAYS need you......even if he doesn't think he does!!