Saturday, November 8, 2008

My 100th Post!! And Some Reality

First of all, let me just say it's with great joy I offer you my 100th blog post. I can't believe I have found enough interesting stuff to talk about for that long. lol. (Well, I guess at least maybe some of it has been interesting anyway). A special thank you to all who continue to read..(and of course comment).

Now for this...

Tonight's feature for my 100th post is going to be non other than Big Dan. After all, he's really the one that keeps it "real" for us...and did I mention he has the crappiest..with a capital C..the crappiest luck?

Or maybe God is just testing him. Whichever it is, I'm beginning to feel for him.

Did I tell you about the time last year when he got suspended for 10 days because one of his alumni friends came into the regional basketball tournament game with a spiked drink in a Sonic cup? Yeah, he did, and then asked Big Dan to hold it for him and then Big Dan took a couple of swigs. He doesn't drink or party and said he didn't know it had alcohol in it the first time, but I guess the 2nd drink was peer pressure....or just pure stupidity. Anyhow, somebody snitched and it turned in to a major thing. Lesson to be learned...if you're going to do something stupid like that, you should totally do it where you don't have quite the audience.

Did I tell you that this past April we bought Big Dan a car? Oh, and did I tell you that somebody side swiped him (causing $4,000 worth of damage)? And did I mention this happened less than a mile from our driveway on his way to school the 1ST DAY HE DROVE IT? Yep, it happened. I'm not sure of the lesson to be learned here. Unless it is to watch out for idiots on the road, because there are plenty of them out there. (I've been accused of being one myself!)

And once again, the bad luck prevails. You see, what was actually supposed to be a nice quiet evening...post hen party, obviously wasn't. Big Dan got off work at 11:00 tonight, walked out to the parking lot only to find his car window bashed in.

Glass was everywhere. But that wasn't even the worst news. They took just about everything he had in there...which included about $80 cash that was in the console, a couple of gift cards he had just gotten for his birthday, the fossil watch that he got from the girlfriend, his new bat bag AND the $100 first baseman's mitt, I JUST BOUGHT HIM..also for his birthday. They got into his trunk and took another bat that actually belonged to a friend of his, his brand spanking new wooden bat that my mom and dad gave him Sunday (for his birthday), and also another souvenir Louisville Slugger wooden bat that my mom had gotten him from Louisville. They had his name imprinted on it a couple of years ago when they were on vacation. Needless to say, I am so angry.

As soon as Big Dan called, I drove right into town to talk with the officer that worked the report. He said we would need to call our insurance agent on Monday with a list of property and report the damage to the vehicle.

The reality of this is...that there are just so many mean, ruthless people in the world and I guess this is just another hard lesson for him to learn. Not that I am blaming him, because it was totally out of his control. BUT, it is something we all need to realize. I guess it's just signs of the times.

The other reality is....

that if it's gonna happen....it's gonna happen to him.

And....it's almost 2 am. It's been a long stressful night, so I'm going to join hubby in dreamland.

Here's to another 100!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your boy! Some people do just seem to have bad runs. What's happened is awful, especially as it involves his birthday gifts. Bless him!

100 posts! You go girl! Looking forward to hundreds more...

Rae said...

First off, congratulations on this your 100th post!! I am so happy to have found you and your blog!!

Holy cow! My sister describes this type of bad luck as a little black cloud hanging over her head. She has always had bad luck and she says, "Tug, tug little black cloud".

Poor Big Dan! Poor mom and dad who have to deal with the reports and filing and what not!!!! I hope you got a good night's sleep and this will be the end of Big Dan's bad luck streak!!

Twice as Nice said...

Congrats on 100. Sorry to hear of all the bad luck with your son. I can't believe no one witnessed this happening. It's hard to break a car window and not make a lot of noise. I realize what was taken were just things but they were meaningful to him. I hope they catch who ever did it.

Aubs said...

Wow...people can be so heartless. So sorry you and Dan had to experience this...hope today is going much better!

hsmomma said...

Oh, that is HORRIBLE!!!!

Not to make light of the situation (because this is wayyyyyyy worse!), but I know how furious I was about my pumpkin being stolen last weekend, so I can just IMAGINE how that red hair of yours is flaming mad!!!! :)

Leigh Ann said...

Well, I guess you have a big memory for your 100th post. So sorry about that. Sometimes I feel like I am also the person that "things will happen to if they are going to happen." Hope his luck turns around soon.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Oh, so sad! I hope your insurance really comes through! Why would someone take a bat with someone's NAME on it? Mean and dumb.

Carrie said...

First of all, thanks for the comment regarding my "mental health" day!! I did enjoy myself , that's for sure!! Just feeling a little guilty about calling into work.

Secondly, how terrible about your son's car. I swear some poeple are so ruthless!!

You know what I say....BAD karma!! What goes around comes around and the person(s) responsible will eveidentually feel bad...or at least we can only hope!!

Hang in there and tell Big Dan the same...I know it is hard but his luck will soon change, I am sure!!

April said...

Congrats on your 100th post!! That's big stuff! :)

I am so very sorry to hear about what happened to your son's car and all of his belongings. I know he must be devastated and I understand completely the anger you're feeling. Just makes you feel so violated, doesn't it?? There is no doubt in my mind that whoever did that to him will get their due, sooner or later.

Hope the rest of your weekend goes a little better. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you!!

Melissa Stover said...

oh that's so awful.
(commenting from my new laptop in hotel).

sobeatandsobattered said...

Possibly we should start a Big Dan's bad luck collection to start covering insurance deductables.

My Brother, Mother and Aunt have the same type of luck...

I really hope things get better for him.

cmbbyrd said...

Poor guy! He does have horrible luck.