Sunday, November 9, 2008

Out of my Element

Apologies to any readers who are animal rights activists..

But...

You know here in South Arkansas yesterday was the opening day of deer season (gun). I have only been hunting 2 other times in my entire life. One time probably about 10 years ago because Pete begged me to, and one other time when both kids were begging to go, but they were both too young to sit in a stand alone. Pete and Little Ann got in a stand and Big Dan and I got in another. Big Dan and I didn't see anything because we made too much noise. He was quite the fidgety one AND my stomach kept growling which would result in hysterical laughter even though it wasn't all that funny. It was the fact that we were supposed to be quiet that made it so hard. I must say, it made for a fun family experience though.

I've been born and bred around deer hunting. My grandfather, my dad, and my brother all hunted religiously as I grew up. Some of my best memories were made down at my grandfather's old home place in a little shack that became camp. My aunts and uncles that lived out of town would bring campers down, we would huddle around the fire and watch as the guys drove in and out of the woods...some with the big one on the back of their four-wheelers and others with disappointment on their faces. Although I highly enjoyed being around my family and the fun times we experienced, I never once had the desire to dress out and head out to the old deer stand. It just didn't seem worth the trouble of getting up as early as required or freezing my buns off. Pete knew going into our marriage that I wasn't the outdoorsy type and after 15 years, he's pretty much accepted it.

But my heart went out to him this year. It seems that he's lost both hunting partners. Big Dan is so preoccupied with his 18 year old life nothing else seems to matter...and Little Ann....well, let's just say she's become pro-life. She refused to "kill another one of God's creatures". lol.

So, yesterday as afternoon hunting time came nigh, I realized we were the only ones home. Then it hit me...the words from a book that I had read bits and pieces of. It's called "His Needs, Her Needs".........engage in recreational activities that both you and your spouse can enjoy together....the couple that plays together, stays together.

I thought Pete was going to fall out when I told him I wanted to go with him. He was so excited. He began scurrying around helping me get my things together.

We sat on the stand engaging in very quiet conversation for 40 minutes or so. It was nice. Not too cold, and it was so peaceful just sitting.... pondering... watching the cardinals fly around us and squirrels scampering below us. I actually enjoyed it.

Yes, we saw a deer. It was a nice one. Pete spotted it first and counted 5 points. I got my gun in position, set my sights right in the perfect place to shoot, but just as I pulled the trigger he ran. And so, I guess you could say I missed. We looked for signs that I had hit him, but there were none.

I haven't totally disregarded the idea of going again. Pete says a girl with a gun really turns him on.

6 comments:

April said...

That is the greatest post! What a woman you are! I am impressed!!

Even though I grew up in Arkansas and had many friends who went deer hunting, neither my dad nor my brothers were deer hunters, oddly enough. However, my husband loves to hunt, but hasn't been in several years. Like your daughter, mine would give him such a hard time if he were to kill one of God's creatures. In all honesty, I would, too. Something about it just hits straight to my heart. I'm a big softie and my so are my girls.

I think it's great that you got out in your husband's element and did something you knew would make him happy. You even enjoyed yourself, too! So, it was a win-win sitation...even for the deers!! :)

sobeatandsobattered said...

From what I know about you from reading your post, I can't imagine you on a deer stand much less actually taking a shot...
What a great idea for a bonding experience...It seems as though Pete must have made a deal with the devil to get someone as special as you.
Good luck to you (and the deer) in your future outings.

Anonymous said...

You're gorgeous!!!... So, you were just chatting up there, hah?!!!...

I think the book's suggestion is a wise one, and good on you. No better feeling than seeing the man you love happy...

But, tell me, did you miss on purpose, like, "oh, darn!", 'cause you could almost hear Little Ann's voice pleading with you to miss... go on, you can tell us...

And, um... about the gun holding... only ever in the woods, girl... only ever in the woods...;)

hsmomma said...

See....reading a book has its benefits!! :)

Now, I can't wait to see what kind of scrapbook page you will make out of that picture!!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Now this is my kind of post!! Even though you wouldn't catch me hunting, I love the fact that you went with your hubby. I also love the picture of you in your gear!!!
You are just too darn cute!!
Oh, and I will say that I would have LOVED to be with you and Big Dan when you were laughing.......let's just say that your hubs would NEVER EVER want me to go hunting with you guys!! ha!ha!

Carrie said...

You go sister!!!! I have to say, even though I was raised with a Dad that hunted (still does), I myself have never gone. Kinda makes me wish the hubby liked to hunt.

You looked so cute in your hunting gear!! That and the fact that you and the hubby got in some QT (quality time) and had fun doing it!! I am TRULY impressed!!