Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Cards That Just Aren't Meant to be!

Now I remember why I haven't messed with photo Christmas cards in the last few years. Yeah....it's all coming back to me now. Honestly, I feel a little like Heidi...minus all the nudity (sorry Heidi, I couldn't resist). Surely these must be the Christmas cards that are just not meant to be.

I think I failed to mention that on Friday when I made a trip into the capital city, I purposely made Wal-Mart the first stop on my list so that I could get my cards printing while I ran other errands on that side of town. (I already had issues with putting only one lowly little picture on a cd in the first place.) It just seemed so wasteful, and would you believe that the machine refused to read my disc? Strike One.

In my mind I set aside this afternoon to make my 2nd attempt at my regular Wal-Mart as the most contributing factor would be that I would already have makeup on and I try to squeeze the impossible in on those days. And of course, in refusing to only put one lowly little picture on another cd, I put several...114 to be exact...of the most recent family activities and of course our family shots. I knew my afternoon was cut short due to the fact that we'd had lunch at my parent's and we didn't leave there until almost 2:00 and I was due back for choir practice at 4:30, but if I could just get them started, I'd be good, even if I had to come back to get them later.

I stood in line at least 30 minutes waiting on the machine. I was third in line behind one extra superdy duperdy slow person, whom I thought would never finish, and then behind an elderly couple who were obviously very proud of their grandchildren and had to develop every picture on their sd card..yes, all 300 of them....and that is AFTER they had the little associate guy give them lessons on how to work the machine. That just couldn't be good. By the time I got there I was very frazzled and mind you...very short on time. I waited at least another 10 minutes on myself actually (remember the 114 pictures I was determined to put on my cd?). They took forever to load and of course the one I needed was the very last one. I finally got all the contents of my card put together, placed my order and went on about my merry way, actually with a few minutes to spare. As I began to wander aimlessly down the aisles trying to remember what else I came for it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had forgotten to add my text. I ran back to my machine only to find it being occupied once again. Strike two.

I rushed home for choir practice, church services and another play practice, and afterwards did a little eyelash batting at Pete in hopes of talking him into going back into town with me so I could try this yet another time. It didn't take much when he realized food could quite possibly be involved. He and Little Ann went to sporting goods while I marched back to the photo developing center. You guessed it. With 30 minutes to get my order placed before I would have to wait until tomorrow, it just so happened that I got behind a school teacher who was making individual cards for each of her students...each with a different photo. One she obviously took of each student on Santa's lap. Why me? That is totally a loaded question..........Strike three.

So tonight blog world. I am venting. Is it just not meant to be this year? (and my doggie looked so cute!!.......and my kids too! lol. )

I really should learn how to upload photos online, huh?

7 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

it's really so easy. if you can do facebook you can do walmart photos. just do it. you'll thank me later.

Unknown said...

What about just printing out a 4x6 and adding it inside the Christmas cards you send out? And lol at meeting in prison! What did you both do there?

April said...

I apologize in advance...BUT, that was pretty funny to read...in a good way, of course! Seriously, I can't count the times that exact same scenario has happened to me and you want to just throw in the towel, don't you? But, NO, we're moms and we trudge onward!

Uploading photos online really isn't difficult, at all. I am not a computer guru, but I can do it...trust me, you can, too! Saves you a huge headache, that's for sure!

Hang in there, my friend! Things are bound to get better!!!

Shannon said...

Oh no! You could save yourself a lot of trouble by doing it on Walmart's website. And they have more choices and cuter ones too. They just print out at your local store. Easy! I'm with Chickadee, if you can do facebook, you can do walmart. Probably a lot easier too. And if not, have your son do it! :)

hsmomma said...

Place your order online and then pick them up. It will save you much stress.

Last year, I went to Walgreens and ordered mine. (Can't remember WHY I didn't do it online.) I paid for my order when it was done and got them home only to realize that I left one of the kids names off. Unfortunately, it was one of the kids that I like, so I felt compelled to have them redone. Some tried to get me to cut the pic off and stick it in a card, or [gasp] write the missing name on there. No, Miss OCD had to have them REDONE, thus spending $40 or so on Christmas cards--half of which were of no use. This year, husband talked me into just sticking a picture in a card. I did, but after spending 2 hours signing cards, I remembered why I like photo cards so well.....

Schluter said...

I love your blog and thought I'd finally leave you a comment! Those machines in Walmart make me furious so I also do all my stuff online now!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Yep! welcome to my life........well, not exactly because if you were MY life this year, you would have FORGOTTEN about the Christmas cards alltogether!! OH CRAP! I just can't seem to have it ALL.......grrrrrr...... I get the LIGHTS but not the CARDS........(you'll have to read my latest post to get that!)ha!ha! So don't be offended when you don't get one.........