Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Crappy Kind of Morning

Never been much of a house dog person. I thought I might try it when we got Dixie because she was so cute, but soon she got big, stinky and I couldn't keep up with the shedding demand. So she became an outside dog...a very busy one at that.

Four weeks ago she had 10 pups (more cuteness than should be allowed) and with freezing temps each night I begged for them to stay inside. Our guest bath has been home to 10 pups and momma dog for almost a month now, and might I say, I'm more than ready for them to be OUT!

Pete built them the nicest house in a pen right outside our back door so Little Ann could have close contact, but most nights, as the temperature begins to fall, Little Ann's heart gets the best of her and she gives me those big brown sad eyes until I cave. Last night was one of those nights.

No prob. Went to bed, but awakened to a momma dog (who is not supposed to be out of the bathroom) outside my bedroom door scratching. I jumped up to the nice aroma of dog poo. Where? In the carpet. In the living room. Not just a little pile. A HUGE pile. Where's hubby when you need him?

With the house still dark and quiet from the night, I proceeded to scoop up the pile with my dust pan, but it was a little too fresh and not cooperating. Did I mention the nice aroma. I was holding my breath trying not to add to the mess.

Holding my nose with one hand, and the dust pan with the other, I ran to my bathroom to flush it down the toilet. As the big glob of poo hit the toilet, I knew immediately it was too much for one flush, but I knew I wasn't sticking my hand down there to retrieve any of it.

So, I flushed.

And....

it overflowed.

All in my bathroom floor.

Now wet, watered down, atrociously smelling

dog poo.

And so there I was. Cleaning up a massive mess of dog poo while the rest of the world was all nestled up snug in their beds where I was supposed to be.

Because really. Who else was gonna do it? And from this moment on. All dogs will live happily ever after in their new house. Outside.

So, how was your morning?

3 comments:

April said...

Boy, you sure have been through the mill, huh? So sorry about all of that...but it did sound sort of funny (I just had to get that off my chest!). However, I do know that when you're going through it...it IS NOT FUNNY! My heart really does go out to you!

Hey, if you want a low maintenance dog that doesn't shed or have an odor...get a Shih Tzu. Bella is the second one we've had and I will never have any other kind of dog after Maddie passes (she's a long-haired dachshund). They really are the perfect kind of dog, though I'm thinking this isn't the time to try to convince you of that. LOL! Have a good one! :)

hsmomma said...

Bless your heart--that sounds just like something that would happen to me.

Aubs said...

Well...look on the bright side..it can only get better from there right?!? So sorry you had to start your day that way....thats always the worst! Hope the rest of the weekend is extra fabulous to make up for it!! =)