Tuesday, January 6, 2009

An Inquiring Mind Wants to Know

Ok, I just don't know how much longer I can stand it.

One year ago Jan. 11, our ABC channel (which is KATV 7) went completely out when our local tower fell. It was completely out for months, but then it decided it would come and go. I used to be a big soap fan..mostly GH and OLTL but when the tower fell, I used it as my sign from God that I was spending way too much time in front of the TV and not enough doing things I should be. Although nothing major has happened to my computer or internet service, if I don't get a handle on this addiction, I'm afraid I may be getting knocked down again very soon. As a matter of fact, I spent most of the last year watching the things I couldn't live without on the full episode viewer online.

To make a long story short, we've never had satellite television. Believe me, my kids have begged and begged, feeling sooo deprived and very mistreated like they were the only kids in the world who couldn't watch multiple episodes of Sponge Bob Squarepants or every game that came on ESPN. But as a very protective parent, I just looked at it as one more thing for them to argue over, one more thing to pay for, one more thing to take up our time, and the biggie....one more thing to have to monitor. I just wasn't up for the challenge.

I realize that in one month everything will be digital and without the converter box, we won't be watching anything. I've been doing some thinking that since Big Dan is almost out (maybe he won't take it personal) and Little Ann is older, maybe I am up for the challenge. (Or maybe it's all the reality TV coming on ABC this season that I AM MISSING on the big screen!!!)

So tell me...what's better? Dish Network or Direct TV?

7 comments:

April said...

Now, that's a toughy. We have Direct TV and have never had a problem, but I've heard the same thing about Dish Network. Chris is so thrilled that he actually has over 300 channels to choose from! Drives me a little insane, at times, but it's worked out. You have to go digital, girl...you can't let a night go by without watching "The Biggest Loser" or "The Bachelor"!

Rae said...

We have had Dish Network for the past three years and have had absolutely zero problems. I only know one person with Direct TV and again, no problems either. For me it came down to wanting a specific channel and only Dish Network offers it. Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm back from my own "knock down", Love, and believe me it has been a tough lesson to learn ;), but I have been told... woo up on the 'puter...

I have no idea about all the tv doodads, but I believe we will be getting more channels this year if we go digital, which will be a big step up for those of us with only FOUR channels at our disposal, which, truthfully, I don't mind one little bit... less monitoring... Hope you're having a great day...

Shannon said...

We have Dish but I think they have U-verse in your neck of the woods and I would DEFINITELY go for that! It is through AT&T. You can call them and ask if it is available to you but my parents have it in Little Rock. We are getting asap.

Tonda said...

yes, if you can get the AT&T Uverse it is AWESOME - better than either Dish or Direct. We have had both Dish & Direct & now have the AT&T Uverse. Dish or Direct? just depends on channels you want & who has the best deal - that's how we decided, service was the same with both of them..

hsmomma said...

I agree--I think one is about as good as the other. We have Direct TV and my parents have Dish.

Anonymous said...

Dish Network is taking away their ABC affiliate, so you won't get to watch your favorite shows.

DirecTV is what we have and have never experienced a problem!

Good Luck!