Thursday, February 5, 2009

What I Wish I Knew and Some Inspiration for Naomi

This is my camera. Or you could call it my baby. I love this thing. It goes practically everywhere I go, for I hate to miss opportunities for good pictures. (Even though it's not the handiest thing to carry around.) The problem is....I'm camera illiterate. I wish I knew so much more about the capabilities of my camera, yet, I don't. Most of my shooting is on automatic, but I know my camera is capable of so much more.

It's a Canon Rebel XT and although it's nothing special, it was quite pricey when I purchased it as my first digital 3 years ago. I paid over $1,000 for it, but I'm sure you can purchase the same model now for 1/2 of that or less. It doesn't make it worth any less to me, but I so long for some great photography and have faith that "my baby" can do it. (Not so much me, though..)

Here are some extra's hubby has bought me that I really like.
-my external eye piece extender.
I really like this because it helps keep my makeup and smudges off my lcd screen.

-my battery pack.
He got me this for Christmas this year and it is wonderful. I had issues leaving my camera on (I know..it's that scatterbrained personality of mine) and everytime I got ready to shoot, my battery would be dead. It makes the camera a little heavier, but knowing I have plenty of battery to last is worth the extra weight.

-my external flash.
ok. this is an extra, but I'm not sure I can say I really like it. I have absolutely no idea how to use it and even when I have it on my camera on automatic, I seem to get better pictures using the flash without the external one. Any suggestions?

-my rubber pull out sun shield.
I have just recently discovered what a nice tool this is to have. I have been taking church directory pictures in noon sunlight and was having issues with sun spots on faces. This alleviated my problem and I was very glad to discover this remedy.

Has anyone ever taken any online tutorials or found websites helpful?

So much I wish I knew.

**********

This part of my post is for Naomi. She asked for some scrapbooking inspiration because she was doing some pages for a family member. Naomi, this isn't much, or one of my better pages, but it is one I did for myself and my husband and thought you might could use the layout or quote (or anything...haha)

The background is just several different patterned papers torn and I inked the edges. I used buttons to accent the black/white photo. I used big foam letters that I inked in paint for the title, and the journaling was done on the computer. I printed it on vellum paper and inked the edges. Used sparkle brads to adhere to page because I hate when glue shows through your vellum. Enjoy!

9 comments:

DomesticDivasFancy said...

I am jealous of your camera! I love that page too! That LO is awesome...and I like the idea of the brads because I had always used my sticky things and they showed through...I have no clue why I never thought of using the brads.

April said...

Love the camera, girl! I have a Nikon DX 40 and I use it all the time. I'd really like to take a photography class, though, and learn what it really can do. Love your scrapbook page, as well...Naomi will definitely be inspired!

Allyson said...

That was a great page! About your camera, there are some classes at the arts center in LR that you could take. I want to but they are just too expensive right now. I have a nice camera too and I don't know how to really use it either. Also Bedford Camera and Video has classes too.

Aubs said...

I have a canon rebel xt also and i love it! But like you all of my pictures on taken on automatic...i haven't a clue about all the fancy extras! Love to hear your take on the extras and i'll be checking back to see what everyone's ideas and suggetions are for the camera!!

Anonymous said...

Morning, gorgeous girl! I was just popping in for a visit and to say, "yes, please, I would love inspiration!", and there it all is!!! I love your page, and I was impressed with the vellum, with the inked edges. I would never have thought ink would take to vellum like that... Inspired! Thank you! I'm about to sit with Eli and do some work in his nature walk album that we have created... maybe, just maybe, I'll do my own alongside him... Have a wonderful day! N x

PS Oh, to have a camera like yours!!! Your handbag must be a decent size! Keep snapping... x

Unknown said...

Scrapbooking!! I love the little details and the cute pink buttons!! Every page is special because you made them!! Sometimes I think over a page too much when I get done and I keep thinking, "What more can I do?" And then everyone tells me they love it the way it is!! :)

Anonymous said...

get the "magic lantern" guide for your camera (comes in DVD and CD ROM). You can get them from Amazon or places like Ritz. They are helpful, and there's a lot of books out there if you are looking for book number 2.
With respect to the flash; they are not all created equal. One sugestion is to use an L bracket and get the flash off the camera. This will eliminate all red eyes as the lens and the light are hitting the retina from different angles. You can find them on ebay for under $50 sometimes. You will have to play with the angle on the external flash in almost every situation but you'll get use to using an and appreciate it more down the road.

Shannon said...

Cool camera! I could use one of those external eye pieces extender thingys. :)

jody said...

I have the same camera and I love it!! You probably already know about this but the Photography board at www.twopeasinabucket.com is a wonderful resource...I have learned so much from them. Expecially the 12 weeks to better photos course. I'm now shooting in Aperture priority mode and it's so much fun! A good book to read in addition to the manual that came with your camera and the Magic Lantern guide is Bryan Peterons book, Understanding Exposure. I'm sure you'll have a blast learning...I know I am!