Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bummer

If I were on top of things, I would've known that today called for 90% chance of rain and storms. Then I would've been able to prepare myself physically and mentally for a state tournament game that might be a little wet or not happen at all. Fortunately I have a husband that is pretty keen on things like that. He's always prepared for everything....nothing gets by him. Unfortunately, he was on a trip and I didn't get the memo.

I took my Little Ann to a play date and headed towards town where the game would be played. As I meandered out, I noticed the day did seem a little dreary. As I headed toward town, the sprinkles began to fall. The closer I got, the harder it came down. Just as I was inside the city limits, my mother called to tell me there were tornado warnings for the county that I lived in and also the one I was in. Great..

Then I heard them....something that we have never been fortunate enough to have in our little po dunk town.....tornado sirens. I've never heard them before and I panicked. As I pulled into the parking lot of the field I saw people, heads covered, running to their vehicles, but I needed Big Dan. I needed him with me, but I couldn't find him. No answer on the cell. I called the girlfriend. No answer. I called again and again. No answer. It was chaos in the street and I kept driving around looking and looking...no kids. Pete was still on a train, but told me I should find shelter under the nearest bank awning. I I just wanted to get home.

Finally I heard from Big Dan. He and the girlfriend were laughing at the distressed look on my face as I frantically searched through faces to find them...when all along they were right beside me. Big Dan says they were standing right near my van. I never saw them, but I did realize I was going the wrong way down the street so I sped off to turn around and get out of the way of oncoming traffic. I guess that's when they gave up on me letting them in and headed on to get in the girlfriends vehicle. What can I say. Storms cause me to lose my mind.

I drove like a crazy lady all the way home with my husband, my mother and my friend who had Little Ann (all taking cover in their bathtub) keeping me updated on weather conditions. I got home to a dark, empty house that remained that way for two hours.

I admit it...I am a big chicken. I hate storms....especially the ones that generate tornadoes. I am so relieved the worst is over, the power is back on, Pete is on his way home with supper, and Little Ann is safe and sound with mama.. I guess Big Dan will be home at curfew, but at least I know he's safe.

It's been an exciting day (if you can call it that), but I'm totally bummed out we didn't get to play ball today. We won last night in the first round of the state playoffs so we've got 2 more rounds to go before the championship game this weekend. Hope we get to make it up soon! Rain, rain....Go away!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

OMG, Scrapper Mom!! I am right there with you. I absolutely HATE storms...especially, likle you said, ones that generate tornados. But unfortunately, being from the Midwest they are unavoidable!!

Glad to hear everybody is SAFE!!

Hugs!! Carrie♥

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were alright!!! Goodness! Your heart must have been in your mouth, Girl!