Friday, June 27, 2008

A Challenge to Myself

Today, actually, in all the silence, I've been pondering. Mostly about my relationship with my children, and the rift between my children. Something's just been in the air lately. I'm not sure what, but everybody, and I mean everybody has just been edgy. I'm sure Little Ann was happy to get away.

I read God's word. I know what it says. I know there is something in it that will help us in every situation in our lives...the key...actually applying it to our lives. Proverbs 4:24 - Put away from thee a froward mouth and perverse lips put far from thee. I admit that's a tough one for me. I'm a nagger and a yeller....and yes, my mouth does tend to get me in trouble frequently, so why is it that I am surprised when my kids act the same? Don't they know they aren't supposed to do what I do, but what I say. Yeah, ok. Actually, it's usually my tone of voice that initiates their tone back to me...and I get mad because it is at an inappropriate heightened level?

Ephesians 6:4 - Fathers (or in this case, Mothers) provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Could it be that I "provoke" my children to react the way they do? Not that that is an excuse for disrepectful behavior, but what can I do differently to help change the outcome of the situation?

Proverbs 15:1 - A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger.

So....my challenge to myself. Think swiftly, speak softly and cherish every good moment I have left with them. I don't have the promise of tomorrow and neither do they. Feel free to take this challenge for yourself!

3 comments:

hsmomma said...

Wow--great post! It really hit home. You sound sooooo much like me. I accept the challenge.

Anonymous said...

God is amazing! I so needed to read the verses you included in your post. I went to bed with the heaviest of hearts last night after a BIG day with my boys (1st day of holidays, mind you!!!), and SOOOOO tired I didn't pick up my Bible. The first thing I've done this morning is turn on my computer to find out where soccer's being played today, and now I've 'visited' you and been so wonderfully prompted to do what I should have done last night - no matter how tired... Thanks! I accept the challenge too.

Scrapper Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.