Saturday, June 28, 2008

It's a Date

A Date? What is that? I hadn't had one in so long I had forgotten. Websters gives this definition: Date - A social engagement between two persons that often has a romantic character. Romantic? I've kind of forgotten what that is too.

If you have been reading, you know that Little Ann was off visiting her meemaw for the weekend....and you are crazy if you think for one minute Big Dan is going to be home on a Friday night. He is 17, ya know. And my dear hubby had just driven up from work. Little Ann doesn't usually get too far away from home, so these opportunities are few and far between...we had no plans...it just "worked out".

A few days ago we woke up to our mailbox in this lovely position.

I don't know if it fell on it's own, or if someone knocked it over, but it was embedded in concrete so I figured it would've been pretty strong. It had been standing for 9 years, so maybe it was on it's last leg. (That's supposed to be funny)

Hot Date: Part I - Household Project: I guess you could say our "date" began by our team effort we put towards assembling our new mailbox. I have to be around to calm my dear hubby. He doesn't have much patience especially when they only include 1/2 of the directions. Everything's going to be oooo kkkk. All in all, we finished the project in no time at all and wah-la!

Hot Date: Part II - Dinner. Can you really have a "date" without food? Not when your married...right? I mean, ya gotta eat and I jump at every chance to get out of cooking. We actually had "adult" conversation for a whole 2 hours (give or take) face to face. No breaking up squabbles, no whining over what we'll order (because we're too good to eat off the kids menu), no arguing over who will sit on which side of the table, no attitudes because we opted out of dessert to save money. No people, none of that and we were definitely doing it up right tonight! Dear Hubby and I (I think I want to actually give him a bloggy name tonight instead of referring to him as my hubby) Hmmmm.. let's see. I will call him "Pistol Pete". How about Pete for short? I'll explain the name later. Everyone....meet Pistol Pete sitting across from me at our fancy, shmansy, restaurant.
So, anyway, we ate fried mushrooms and split a delicious rack of ribs. Yum.

Hot Date: Part III -Dessert. I know this is so terribly mean of us. We NEVER order dessert when we have the kids, mainly because our bill is so high when we finish dinner, we would have to wash dishes to afford dessert for everyone too. And we even had two spoons! (that's about the extent of the "romantic" part of the date. (and btw...Pete was totally weirded out by the fact I took a picture of my food). He just doesn't have a clue.

Don't you wish you had one now?

Hot Date: Part IV: Trip to Walmart. What's a date without going in to Walmart? I mean, you gotta go buy something...and this is usually a good time to throw in something you've been wanting, but wouldn't buy for yourself. (especially if he has his own stash tucked away) And..that just about concludes our hot date. As soon as we got home, he got on one computer and I got on the other. Today, I went to pick up Little Ann, Big Dan will be home at Saturday night curfew and thus tomorrow begins a new week of chaos! (But I'm not forgetting my challenge).

Had any hot dates lately?

2 comments:

hsmomma said...

My husband and I used to have a regular date night. We had a sitter that came in every two weeks and we went out for a few hours on Friday night. Well, we moved and figuring the sitter does not want to drive to our new town to sit, we haven't had date night in a while. I miss them a lot....

Now, you should not NEED a sitter with kids the age of mine--but five kids alone in the house--that's no date night because you're worrying if the house will still be standing when you get back!

Anonymous said...

No, but I'm wishing... We have movie tickets, yet no date marked on the calendar. I might just go get that pen and mark it up.

The challenge is going well for me so far, but does it count when you're down one child?!?!