Thursday, June 26, 2008

To Grandmother's House We Go!

I've not been much good the past couple of days. One very sore left finger and one even more sore right shoulder. I declare on this day I will NEVER get another tetanus shot. I know, I am such a wimp, but I really didn't need much of an excuse to laze around. It's summer vacation for goodness sake.

Today, I mustered up enough energy to meet my mother-in-law half way with Little Ann for a little summer visit to grandma's house. She and her husband live 2 hours from us and we rarely see them. They live on what Little Ann calls a ranch. It's not really a ranch, but more like a small farm. Her house is decorated in western type decor which is where I guess the "ranch" comes from. Little Ann loves it when we go visit. They have lots of things to entertain her...baby goats, baby kittens, baby chickens, horses, a mule and lots of pigeons that fly in neat little patterns in the sky....not to mention dish network (which we don't have). The thing that surprised me about this trip was that she wanted to go all by herself for the weekend.

Little Ann is normally, I guess you could say a "mama's girl". She likes to go places, but she doesn't like me to be too far away and she sure doesn't want to be gone overnight, away from her own bed full of her favorite animals, her noise machine and me to snuggle. This is a child that adores church camp, but will not go unless I go with her and even better....push our beds together so she can sleep with me. I am glad she is still like that at 10 years old because I know there will come a day when I will be longing for her to snuggle with me again and that just won't be cool.

After we downsized from 3 bags to 1, we headed out. They had big plans to buy up some of her favorite groceries tonight, see a movie tomorrow, and spend the rest of the time with the animals. I was a little disappointed when I didn't hear from her tonight. I'm sure she is snuggled all up tightly in bed, watching the Disney channel, eating Hershey kisses, being spoiled rotten.

No comments: