Monday, June 30, 2008

Twenty Years?

A few nights ago, I was over visiting my parents and made the comment that a few high school friends and I were in the midst of planning our twenty year reunion for August. My mother looked at me as in disbelief and said "Twenty Years?". Until that moment, it had not really dawned on me what an awful long time that is, and just how fast the years have passed by. My oldest child will be starting his own last year of high school this year, but why is it that I don't really feel that old?

I guess because I seem to stay so busy with the kids...and the house....and church...and ballgames...and girl scouts...and this...and that...it doesn't really seem like I have enough time to actually feel anything. (Although I do know my body requires more sleep than it used to, even though I've always enjoyed my naps.)

As I think about this upcoming reunion, a part of me gets nervous. What will they think of me? Am I too fat? Will my outfit be just right? What have I done to show for myself in the past 20 years? I didn't turn out to be anything special...no fancy career, don't own my own law firm, no computer analyst or web designer, nothing of that nature. As a matter of fact, I'm still pretty much the same. I still live in the same town, substitute at the same high school I attended, still do the same things (with a little more discretion), still attend the same church, I sound the same, and yes, aside from about 25 extra pounds and less hair, I still look the same.

Ya know what? I'm happy with the same.

Here is your 1st introduction to my "big hair days". This turned out to be sooner than I expected, but since it's been twenty years...aw, what the heck....don't laugh too hard please, especially at the dorky glasses. (Yes, I know it is humongous, but it was the 80's!!)

Big Hair Photo: Taken of me fresh out of high school. My Freshman year in college.
age 18


Normal Hair Photo: Current Hairstyle. Recent photo includes crows feet and chubby cheeks. age 37

So what about you? Are you in your happy place?

6 comments:

hsmomma said...

I had a pair of green glasses just like those. My husband asks me now when we look at pictures, why exactly my WHOLE FACE needed to see!! I certainly am thankful for these things: Smaller glasses, contact lenses and flat irons!

It is human nature to want to be accepted but sometimes we (I) obsess over that when all that is necessary is to BE ME.

I just returned to my hometown after 15 years. Not that I had gotten that far, but I am back. And you know what? Though I was skeptical at first, it's good to be home.

Heidi Zawisza said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I LOVE the hair and glasses! They ROCK!! ha!ha!
Have a great time planning the reunion, I'm two years away from mine myself!....WOW! Now that I said that out loud, I feel old!-:)

Anonymous said...

Our reunion was last year - I turned 38 not that long ago, and I still can't believe it. The thoughts you're going through now are what I sort of went through as well. I just think it's weird that I could be 12 years off 50! That cracks me up - although I don't always laugh!!! I didn't get to my reunion - we live in another state now, too far too travel, but by all accounts it was an interesting night, and one they promise to do in another 10 years - GLORY! Unlike you, I am not the same girl. Moving interstate changed EVERYTHING and then later meeting my husband who is the polar opposite to me has challenged me in ways that made it impossible for me to ever be the same girl, but all for God's good, I believe... And even though I have jam-packed much into my 38 years, and my personality has "shifted" somewhat, I still feel like a young girl, at heart, and I like it like that, too...

Mom of these kids said...

I had those glasses too...only they were maroon. My husband still makes fun of those as well!

If all the weight you have gained since highschool is 25 lbs, I think you are doing great!! I have gained 100lbs. YUCK!

Thanks for checking out my blog and the compliment on our pictures. And, yes, that is Julia Grayson from Channel 7. She isn't there anymore, but you can still spot her on a few commercials here locally. I didn't even know she had been on the news until she told me a few months after the wedding. We were photographing a celebrity and didn't even know it! LOL She is so cute, and very sweet too.

Melissa Stover said...

i see changes. are you figuring out html without me?
hey, at least you won't be pregnant at the reunion.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I looove that hair!! I love your writing!