Friday, August 1, 2008

Acountability and Much Needed Maintenance

This is my house. Cozy, isn't it? We had only lived here a few short years when this was taken. Notice, (besides the snow and ice) how nice and fresh everything is. Freshly painted doors, non-weathered shutters, and only a few neatly planted azaleas to line the front. And although, it was perfect when I planned it, and perfect when we built it, some interior choices I made turned out to be "not so perfect"...(kinda like the white carpet, I chose, but that's another post). The current "non-perfect" outside state.....well, let's just chalk that up to....

Mother nature, of course. Some wind, some rain, a little growing fungi, and 9 years worth of Mr. Morning Sunshine!

I have to say, I have a very busy hubby. His job as a Railroad Engineer keeps him away from home alot. When he is home, he is spending time with the kids, or me. He tries to catch a ballgame or two, a church service, and of course, he has to sleep. He does mow...does he ever mow. Like all the time, in cute little designs, he mows. (But, once again, that could be another post.) He tries to keep up, but sometimes it's hard.

Usually, I walk outside my back door or around to the porch, and think to myself...."wow, I really need to do something about that", but unfortunately, that's all it ever amounts to...thoughts. Yesterday, I drug Pete outside with me. We walked around every inch of our home, and I pointed out all the things I planned to do. (Well, I had planned for us to do.) He agreed. "It's got to be done, but not while it's this hot", he says. What that really means is...I'll tell her we'll do it when the weather cools off and then she'll forget all about it, and by the time fall arrives, she'll have moved on to bigger and better things.

Yeah, I'm a smart cookie.

So, these are my plans. And please, please, please, still be my friend when you see how disgusting things have gotten around here. I can't believe I am posting this, but I am counting on you to hold me accountable to my word.

Problem: The ever growing mold and mildew on our siding. Solution: bleach, bleach, bleach

Problem: The jungle. Solution: hedge trimmers, a wheel barrow, and fresh mulch

I admit, it takes a little motivation for me to cut, trim and freshen up the landscaping each summer. I always put it off until it gets so hot.. you know, so I can put it off some more. Sometimes, the mood strikes me where I actually want to go out and do it, but then things happen like this, that make me change my mind.

Problem: faded shutters from 9 years of morning sun
Solution: fresh coat of paint...have any suggestions for a new color? (I'm thinkin' black)

Problem: faded out door paint, worn out trim, and rusted (oh, ever so rusted) hardware
Solution: fresh paint on door, fresh paint on trim, and for sure new hardware!!!


Problem: faded door paint. These doors are to what used to be a little "consignment" business I owned - turned storage room. I think I need to cover the junk, huh?
Solution: fresh paint and mini blinds.

Problem: rock thrown right into patio door glass.
Solution: The neat little speckled look gave it some style for awhile, I thought. Now, that big "chunks" are falling out every time you open the door, maybe we should replace it??

Problem: Ewwww, these porch lights have got to go. Should I paint them, or replace them? Solution: Leaning more towards chunking these in the trash and starting over...I mean, I've gotten 9 good years out of em.

And last but not least: the chairs. I love this chair. I actually have 2. Pete bought them for me several years ago for some occasion (birthday, anniversary, just because), but anyway, I have always liked them. White shows way too much mildew, so I thought about painting them black. What do you think?

Ok, girls, now I've aired it. You've seen it all. Cheer me on and beg me for after pictures so I won't fail to proceed.

What kind of household projects have you let slide?

Scrapper Mom - (Drats!! I deleted my signature on accident again!)

9 comments:

Sarah said...

You should see the outside of our house! We have been working our way from the inside out, so you can't see, yet, the benefits of our hard work from the street. We are waiting until the fall, you know when it's not so hot out! :) The black sounds good, red also looks good on houses similar to yours, like the barn red color. There is nothing like sweat equity that is put into a house!

Anonymous said...

I really like your chairs. And I'd have to leave them white. You obviously live in a very humid climate. But I'd still leave them white. As for the shutters, I'd go steel blue - it's dark, and it works well on the shutters on a white house around the corner from my sister's. Looks really smart and neat, but hasn't lost it's sweetness. Your house is REALLY sweet. Can't wait to see the "done" pics.

Nicole said...

I love black, you can't go wrong with black, and when it gets dirty you just spray it off. Your home is BEAUTIFUL, it looks very cozy. Hey, I know somewhere you can get lights :) You need to show us the inside of your beaufiful home now. I was reading you profile, my hubby plays the organ at our church too. He loves it. For me, it's a little hard to control three kiddos by myslef, oh well. Thats too funny about the lawn mowing, my dad is an artist and for a couple summers you never knew what cool design he's have mowed into the grass, it was actually pretty cool. Oh and the chairs, I've wanted some like that forever, they are so cute.

hsmomma said...

Well, my husband takes care of that kind of stuff and I just realized that I take that for granted!!

I have noticed a growing trend of painting rockers and porch swings in pastels like robin's egg blue and yellow. But you can't go wrong with black. Or, you could leave them white and use some bleach on them.

Despite the "honey-do" list , you still have a beautiful home!!

tondays said...

i think you should stay away from any hedge trimming utensils permanantly!!!

the mildew is a problem i can relate to, and so hard to clean. we currently need to rent a pressure washers and take care of it too.

just don't put too much pressure on yourself to get it done, choose one project at a time, complete it and then start a new one - it will make you feel more of an accomplishment each time!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE your house! I Luv Luv LUv the front porch!! How fortunate are you?? Gorgeous!! Just Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

If it;s not one thing, it's another. I have adopted a philosophy of of not seeing all that needs doing!

His Girl said...

I totally thought I commented on this already!

I love the style of your home- makes me want to come and sit on your porch in one of those chairs (which would look distressed black, I think) and sip some yummy lemonade.

Hope your projects go smooth & easy!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing your page or ... dare I say it... pageS!!! I've been spending too much time emailing and blogging to scrap this week... Oh, and cleaning and tidying and ferrying children and organising children... you know the drill - there's always something to do