Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A First and A Last

Yesterday, the kids went back to school. It'll be a year of many changes. The first day of 5th grade for Little Ann. She loves to read and write and was very excited about having a "journal" assignment on the first night. A little disappointed about being last in line again....sorry, chick, that's the breaks when your last name starts with W. Get used to it.

Doesn't she look studious with her new glasses? The kids told her she looked like Nancy Drew yesterday. She loves Nancy Drew and took that as a compliment.

This guy.....not so studious. And....this was Big Dan's last first day of high school. Forever. Seems so final, doesn't it? He has "Tourette's Syndrome" (not the profanity that comes with Copralalia, thank goodness!) and was recently diagnosed with ADD so we have struggled immensely over the years with poor organizational and study skills. It's been extremely hard to distinguish between what has been the result of "teenage boy" and what has been legitimate. It has made initiating consequences very hard (besides the natural ones) and keeps me on a constant guilt trip.

His schedule is very light this year. I am expecting a 4 point. With his main classes being Parenting, Advanced Art, Senior English, and Senior Transitional Math, and the rest being PE, Study Hall and 2 periods of Athletics, I dont think that's too much to ask.

7 comments:

Christy said...

We have many "firsts" and "lasts" going on in our family too. I want to welcome them with anticipation and excitement even though it's hard sometimes. I think it's always harder for the mom:)

I hope that this is a year filled with many blessings for you and your family!

Have a great day!
~Christy

Melissa Stover said...

you can have 4 pe classes?
i saw big dan when i drove by the school yesterday. i was thinking, i'm going to check her blog and see if he had on a red shirt because i knew you'd post first day pictures.

hsmomma said...

You have two very good looking children!!

I know it has to be hard for you to believe that your first baby is getting so close to entering the "real world"!

tondays said...

great pics - love her outfit & she looks very good in her glasses! Big D - looks ready for some fun (LOL!)

Hope they both have a great year, and it's good to have a lighter load for Sr. year!

Leigh Ann said...

What great pictures. Your daughter's outfit is just precious and I know the "last first day" has to be kind of sad for you. It sounds like he is going to have a good year. That's a senior's dream schedule!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Okay, A) your kids looked absolutely adorable on their first day back at school, but B) your comment on my blog made me cry even more. Ava LOVES mexican too, amd she ALSO calls it the cheese dip place..........OH, HOW IN THE WORLD am I going to get through tomorrow????

Anonymous said...

Hello! Have missed you! How gorgeous is that girl of yours! She just looks too cute...

Did you try to find me on FB? Can you try again??? Please. If it was you, I didn't know it and deleted it, thinking I was being hacked, as we have had a bit of nuisance 'friends' over this way. I only know you as your blog name!!! Too funny... Hey, I just realised - I can email you... I'm thick with a head cold - have been for four days!!! - and am not thinking all that brightly... Hope to hear from you soon. Blessings. Naomi