Sunday, August 17, 2008

Gettin' Ready

I know I'm not the only mom running all over the house tonight making sure all loose ends are tied up before the big day tomorrow. I didn't get my Sunday afternoon nap for trying to get my "students" clean underwear and socks. It's been fun trying to make sure everyone got to bed at a decent hour for the first time in months. Big Dan will be starting 12th grade so I haven't had to shut him down for the night yet. He's still yappin' on the cell phone as we speak.

Little Ann had Open House on Thursday night. She got to meet both of her teachers, take the bulk of her supplies, and get familiar with where her desks are in each class. When they promote into grades 4-6, they have Reading, Spelling and Language on one side of the hall and later they switch over to the other side where they study Math, Science and Social Studies. She lucked out and got Math the 2nd 1/2 of the afternoon. I told her that would be to her advantage, because every day there was a pep assembly, her class would get to forfeit Math class. She liked that.

Before we left for Open House, we had to put her name on everything as we packed it into her new bag. This is always her favorite part (and mine). She was adamant about her writing her name on her stuff this year and so I had to relinquish control.


and she drew pretty pictures on her folders with my scrapbooking pens. Oh, how I miss that fun.

We actually had our first class tonight. Yes, it was called....um...let's see....
"Shaving our Legs for the First Time 101". I think that must be a 5th grade requirement according to Little Ann at least.

And Big Dan will have his last "first day of high school" tomorrow. Pete and I sat down tonight and laid out a few ground rules for the 12th grade (job, curfew, allowance) that sort of stuff...now that school is back in session.

I think I'll be ok tomorrow when he drives off. It'll be a little bittersweet, but I'll manage. I've still got a few months with him at least. Shaving our legs.....now that makes me sad.

7 comments:

hsmomma said...

Praying that Little Ann and Big Dan have a great first day tomorrow!!

tondays said...

I'm that crazy mom tonight too! I think we finally got everything they needed ready - clean clothes, backpacks loaded, etc... I am a little sad too - my baby starts middle school, but here we go on a new year w/new adventures!

Anonymous said...

I hope your children have a great start to school. Don't we Mum's go through some emotions!!! Thankfully, we are in the middle of our school year...; but it's funny, we're 5 weeks into the third term of school and I am STILL in holiday mode, a little too relaxed about routines, and I'm starting to pay for it... but I just don't WANNA get out of "holiday mode"!!! (I say as I stamp my feet...). Hope you enjoy your day tomorrow... Blessings.

Rae said...

I'm with you on the math thing! The more ways to get out of math the better! :)

Wow...leg shaving! Rand will be in 5th grade next year. Does that mean she'll be old enough to shave her legs? Sad!!

Have a wonderful day today. Enjoy the quiet. I have 9 days left...and counting!!

cmbbyrd said...

Shame on you for dissing math!!
I'm very disappointed - ha.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Leg shaving! Welcome to the club. Can't wait for the first major hair cut and makeup :( They grow up so fast. My biggest issue with leg shaving is how long it takes them to bathe and get ready now. Ugh!!! Then add makeup. It takes hours to go anywhere.

12th grade...what a big year...I know you cried all day. I'm sad too about Big Dan. I feel like he's half mine:) Love ya!

His Girl said...

I totally gasped at the leg shaving reveal. my twins are just a year away- totally amazing that it's time for that already! WOW. and cool mom to teach her how.

a certain girl i know never got taught so she just used a dry disposable razor the first time. ow!