Friday, August 15, 2008

Seven and 1/2 Years Ago..

our church was in search of a new pastor. We went through the spill of hearing some, calling some back for a 2nd time, and finally God sent us the right one...not just the right man, but the right "family". I love how when the right one comes along..you just know. We were his first church. Several of our members attended his ordination service and thus we began our journey together. God has taken him and his family a new direction and that's ok. I miss them, but God is wiser than I, and we have a new pastor now that we love oh so much, as well. I know our former pastor reads this blog..and I want to just say thank you for following God's lead, directing our flock and getting us to where we are now.

Alot happened in the years they were with us. We started up several new ministries, our numbers grew, and so did our friendships. They even provided a home for an exchange student from China who was such a blessing. As a matter of fact, they are driving to pick him up from the airport today for a visit. He was in the 10th grade when he came and although his life has taken him great places all over the world, he remains in contact with all of us.

They have 2 children. A daughter who is a couple of years older, who while here, had her own circle of friends, and a son, who is the same age as Little Ann. I posted a picture of the two of them together here when I talked about my recent visit to their home and how Little Ann plays with boys. And these two....they have always been such great little buddies. He's a sweetie. I took these pictures of them back in February right before their move.

His wife, my precious friend...such a wise Christian woman to be as young as she is, never ceased to amaze me with such sound advice. I was going through probably the most strained time in my marriage when they came and she became my rock. Pete needs to love this girl as much as I do, for without her continual thump on my head, we may not be together (you know...all that virtuous woman, submissive wife stuff..blah, blah, blah..ha). I always told her that God sent their family to our church just for me. I don't know how I would've made it so many times without her support. And that's what true friends do. Love you, support you, care for you when you are up or down.

Every year since they came to our church, she and I would sponsor our girls at church camp. This was taken last summer there.

And here we are now. We were pretty then, but look how cute we are now, both sporting our new haircuts!! (this just proves that beauty comes with age, grin!!)


I so enjoyed visiting with them this past Tuesday and Wednesday. It is nice to catch up with friends you don't see often. The main reason I went though was to see their new home. Being a pastor, it's very rare you get to actually "own" your home. When they were with us, they lived in our parsonage, but with the new church, they are given a housing allowance. They've been praying for just the right thing, in just the right area, for just the right price for some time, and it seems that God answered their prayers. This house came available...it is one that is a result of bankruptcy and what a beautiful home for the price they got!! Such a blessing. There are several things to be done, of course. It was never completely finished out in some places, and since it had been abandoned for about a year or so, some things have taken a beating, ie. the front door, leaks around windows, etc.


They've got a lot of work ahead of them, but just look what they are starting out with!


This picture is just as you walk inside the front doors. Beautiful staircase.


This is a view from the other direction. She is planning on turning this is into a formal sitting area. I think it may've been the dining room before.

Just as you walk into the back door, you come right into the breakfast/kitchen area. I was really impressed by this tray ceiling over the breakfast table. There is also a tray ceiling in the master bedroom.




And the entire house is full of beautiful crown.

When they first came to our church, their daughter was only 5. The bedroom that they chose for her in our parsonage was this bright lime green color (compliments of the teenage girl that lived their before her), and we had just painted over it before they moved in. I got tickled to see that she had painted her new room that exact color. I guess when you're 12, the brighter the better!!

And the kids were so excited to see that this contraption was eagerly awaiting them in their new back yard. What a perk!!

I'm so happy for them. Maybe God will let them enjoy it for a little while before he moves them again!

Wow, I'm a little disappointed that Big Dan's senior portrait session for tonight just got rescheduled due to rain...but hey, I'm not knocking the rain!! Pete and I have been doing things around here that have been needed. While I was away, he painted the shutters. I can't wait until I get it all complete so I can post after pictures for you. You are gonna be impressed!!

9 comments:

Sissy said...

What a blessing that house was! Wow! It's beautiful!

Thanks for your comments on my friendship post. It is still a situation that hurts me, but I am trying to put my energies into a positive place.

Melissa Stover said...

the new house looks great! and so do your new haircuts. i didn't realize how different yours was until i saw last years' picture.

Heidi Zawisza said...

Wow what a neat blessing!!!

hsmomma said...

What an absolutely gorgeous home!!

I have been so out of touch with the blogs this week, but I told chickadee Monday night that I feel so familiar with you and Shortone now that I kind of felt left out that I didn't get to go to the reunion with you three!! LOL

The Uppermans said...

Thank you for the comments and for being willing to listen to God yourself.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for my smile today. It's kind of a strange, yet neat feeling to read about yourself on the net. We have gotten better with age, haven't we. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Psssst! Did you get your email???

I have been trying to get photos up on my blog for the past 2 days, but when I clink on the 'button' - nothing... Am going to try again now...

That house is amazing, but I could live in that cubby!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I sent you an email, to your account listed on your blog, but I sent it using - I forget the name of it... when it goes through from the internet-thingy... and not from my regular account. I am currently surrounded by furniture and books and my scrapping stuff because... wait for it... my new SCRAPBOOK DESK arrived today... just waiting for the man of the house to assemble it... bless his cotton socks! So hopefully, I'll be organised tonight, and my blogsite will cooperate with me and my photos - still wouldn't work this morning... - so I can post what I want to and email you again then. Sleep tite, nite nite.

His Girl said...

what a thoroughly enjoyable post. makes me remember how blessed I am that I know what you're talking about firsthand when it comes to a really, really good friend