Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sucked Dry II

Well, technically, it's tomorrow, but I haven't been to bed yet, so I think I'll just set my blog time back a couple of hours and pretend like it's still yesterday...(hmmmm, did any of that make any sense?)

I just had to laugh at Rae's "Sucked Dry" post from Monday. It felt all too familiar to me since Monday, Little Ann, Big Dan, the girlfriend and I all made a trip into the big city to do a little back to school shopping ourselves. I don't usually go all out for my kids at back to school time. It seems like such a waste to spend all these big bucks on clothes when the season is about to change in just a month after they start. It makes more sense to me to just start out the new school year on what they ended with last year. We usually go shopping when the weather cools off and no one has a pair of jeans except for the ones that are too tight or ready for a flood.

One of the things I do feel justified in though is getting a new outfit for the 1st day. Especially since I scrapbook. No way could they be wearing the same outfit more than once in a photograph. This year, I did find it in my heart to spend a little more...especially since Little Ann has developed a little over the summer. We found several really cute things from this store and I love how I got $240 worth of redeemable 1/2 off cards for the next time I shop, which will come in handy when we go back for fall things. These were some of her cute finds:

You will probably see the pink one with the cute little knee socks again soon on a scrapbook page!!

This is the backpack and lunch box she picked out from her favorite store as well. I have plans to iron some bling on here in a day or two...

I bought Big Dan a few new things as well, but his are probably in the trunk of his car or in the midst of mt. laundrymore in his room and finding them for a photograph just wasn't worth the risk. I didn't buy as much for him this trip since we had just been shopping for his Senior Picture wardrobe a couple of months ago.

After we dropped off Big Dan and the girlfriend, Little Ann and I went together to pick out her supplies. We walked down the aisles of Walmart at 10:00 at night on our mission. I discovered that I really should do all my shopping at that time of day. It was a much better experience than the last time I was in that place. This is probably something that looks all too familiar to everyone right now:

See anything wrong with this picture? ....no crayons, no scissors, no glue. Is this a sign my baby is growing up? I guess they don't color, cut, or glue anymore in the 5th grade. (sigh, wimper)

And Rae, when you find a way to revive the money tree, please let me know!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, I want to cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think about my boys as teenagers and wonder how I'll feel. And I'm guessing I'll be feeling much the same as you are right now, otherwise I wouldn't be fighting back this lump in my throat - you so got me with this post! Big hugs across the ocean to you... Big D's gf sounds so sweet (especially good at giving wonderful pressies) and takes a very pretty photo... which brings me to my positive point for you (!!! 'cause there's got to be one!!!), you are not losing your Son; your Son is growing into a man, and with that, for you, will be many great tugs of the heartstrings, and many wonderful, heartfilled blessings forever more. Take that and run, Girl! He's yours, as God intended, in the most beautiful Mother - Son way...

Shannon said...

Cute clothes! That was my favorite store when I was younger.

Cody loves the towel! He couldn't believe someone not only sent it to me for free but "made" it. :) It was cute.

Thanks again!!

Christy said...

I am dreading... DREADING the back to school shopping for my 3 kids. School starts in a few weeks so I better get my act together though! My oldest daughter is a senior this year, so I understand the letting go. It is such an exciting time but as a mom it's hard. I'm sure you have done a wonderful job of raising your son. No matter how old he is, he will always need you. You are his mom, the one God knew he needed.

Kelly said...

Those school clothes and supplies are so fun! It makes me wish I was starting school or had someone who was. It will come sooner than later.

Rae said...

I can't wait to see the "bling" you iron on the bags! What fun!!

Sorry to report my money tree is still RIP. In fact it's getting worse. $90 on shoes yesterday. Sniff, sniff...

My oldest is going into 4th and she needed a small box of colored pencils. That's it for the coloring supplies. Does this mean by next year she'll not need any? SNIFF, SNIFF!!!!

I wish I could just freeze time and keep them at these adorable ages. If I come up with a way to do that I'll let you know too! :)

tondays said...

L2 is still one of my daughter's favorite stores (I am thankful she is more into Old Navy now though, the price difference is huge!)

both of my kids are going to middle school - no fun crayons for us either!

i dread the day i have to share my boy w/a girl - ugh! not sure i will be able to grasp that one, let's just hope that is still a few off for me.

hsmomma said...

You just made me soooo thankful that my 16 y.o. is so immature. I don't even want to think about being "replaced" because I know I will be jealous too!!!

Aubs said...

I cannot even begin to imagine this....but my day is coming. All i can do is pray for you and hope to learn from you so that when i hit that point in my life i can do so with atleast a little wisdom!