Sunday, November 23, 2008

Change

I haven't been blogging long enough to be familiar with all blog etiquette, but I do think somewhere in there we bloggers learn we are supposed to keep the whiny posts to a minimum. However, tonight I am hormonal. I am emotional. And have I mentioned that I don't like change?

Change. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Can it be both? I suppose it can. Even when I've had a hard time transitioning through the muddled times of my life, I can look back and see that the change was beneficial. Some change I have been able to control. Some change I cannot. I think that's the hardest for me..accepting the part I can't control. Mainly because I am somewhat of a control freak...(just in case you haven't figured that out). Maybe it's the fear of the unknown lurking around the corner. Or maybe it's just because I like things just the way they are. I mean really, if it's not broken, then why fix it? Unfortunately, some things change anyway. Like our children. Growing up, branching out, not needing us anymore. How about not BEING here anymore. I'm sorry, but it's just almost more than I can bear.

And I know I often blog about the fact that Big Dan is preparing to leave the nest and you are probably sick of it right now. I can't help it though. I may need counseling, seriously. It's literally consuming me. I think the reason it has hit me so hard is the fact that he has been much of a homebody over the years. He hung out with friends, but the main hangout was right next door so it wasn't like he was that far away. The former girlfriends were long distance so they were mainly telephone relationships, and an occasional double date on a weekend when he stayed the night with a friend. When he played sports and was gone, I was there with him rooting him on...the entire year as we transitioned from football, into basketball, and on into baseball. His summers were spent mostly sleeping late, hanging out in his room, playing video games or shooting basketball outside, or like I said before heading next door to watch a movie, but he was here.

Then....June came. Boy meets girl in theater, boy falls head over heels, boy now has a car so boy gets a job, and poof! He's gone. When school started, things became even more hectic. His days were filled with classes, then work, then the girlfriends house, and the family became a distant memory. And now during the week not only is he working longer hours in the evening, but he's added a membership to the wellness center where he works out for an hour every morning. Even his Saturdays begin at 5 or 6 am when he rushes out the door to get donuts with the girlfriend and then doesn't come home until curfew that night. And people please don't get me wrong. I am so proud of the fact that he is actually doing constructive things with his life instead of what he could be doing at his age, but there is no more family dinner time, no more 411's (talks, as he called them), and not near as many sibling arguments to break up. I've said all of that...to say this. It just happened too fast, I guess. Faster than I really had time to prepare myself for. And really, I knew it would, but it makes me sad.

Especially when it's time to do this:

Look how sweet this little 6 year old boy is. Putting the tree up was something he loved doing every year. I knew I was in trouble if I started without him.

And the tradition of doing it as a family remained every year.....we just added another little helper.

Up until last year that is. I think 11th grade is when Big Dan decided talking on the cell phone and watching us do it was way more cool, but at least he was here..in our presence.

But not yesterday. If I would've waited on him this year, I think I would still be waiting. Pete helped me get the Christmas decor from the attic and into the house before he went to bed, but it was Little Ann that ran got the Martina McBryde Christmas CD and so excitedly helped me accomplish the task of putting up the tree this year.

I'm trying hard to accept this change for I know it is beyond my control. Growing up is hard...and not just for him, but for everyone. I am praying that God will give me the strength I need to get through these hard times, especially the ones where he so proudly lets me know how excited he will be when he no longer lives with us. Um...can you say rude awakening?? Been there, done that.

But for now, I am resigned to the fact that Little Ann and I will have to start our own Christmas traditions.

Oh, did I say.. you should totally blame the hormones?

9 comments:

hsmomma said...

Ok, there is just one more way we are alike. I hate change! I do not like the unknown. And where Big Dan used to be sounds exactly like where my oldest is at now, so I am sufficiently freaked out now.....

God will give you the grace to endure this--just keep reaching for Him!

Anonymous said...

OHHHHHHHHHHH MANNNNNNNNNNN! I'm not feeling very 'normonal' at the moment either!!! I think your post has just done me in!... Gosh, girl! Seriously, my heart is a little achy... with two boys who 'seem' way off what you're experiencing, I get glimpses (because I'm what 'they' term an "Older Mum" - ex-ca-use me!), from my friends of what they're going through, but then reading it as you have written - oh, wow! I don't know that I'll ever be prepared. We scrapbookers are a soppy lot, but I don't know any other way to be!!! You know, I was driving along today thinking about what is really precious to me in our daily routines, and one of the most important things is us four all having dinner together - and I was actually thinking that I don't ever want it to change, that I'll have to provide a big and beautiful table full of food for my boys to entice them home at a certain time of the week, every week... I must have been sensing some attachment issue vibe from you, Love! 'Cause, I think that's what you need to do. You need to tell Big Dan that you love that he has got such a great social life and that you're happy for him (!!;)), but, that you miss him - and I think it is good to let them know a little of how you're feeling... just don't go into uncontrollable sobs!!! - so, you want to work out a time when the four of you can all have a meal together each week. And insist on it, or you'll take $50 more from him in board each week!!!;) and then go spend it on SB stuff. Don't you just love it when people give you advice you didn't ask for:), but you have to agree, even somewhat, that my idea's pretty tops!!!;)... Seriously, again, it is inevitable that things change... our lives are altering constantly all the time. It is a matter of acceptance, but I don't think it just has to come from you... Talk to him a little bit... you've raised a beautiful boy who loves his Mama no matter what, so if you share a teensy bit about the impact this is having on you, you may just see all the blood, sweat and tears you've put into him over the years, come out of him via a big hug, or something just as sweet... I hope so.

April said...

I sure wish I could give you a big ol' hug right now! You have no idea how much I relate to what you're feeling! This post rings so true for me, it's not even funny!

Brittany will be turning 17 in a couple of months. I've noticed such big changes in her over the past year. She's less interested in spending time together as a family and would MUCH rather be out with friends or boyfriends. It is so hard for me to watch it happen, too! It breaks Abby's heart, but I try to explain to her that it's just part of growing up...doesn't mean we have to like it.

Just this morning, she "announced" to me that she has plans to see a movie on Friday with a new boy she just met a couple of weeks ago. I reminded her that her grandmother and uncle would be here for a visit, and she just shrugged her shoulders and said they'd have to understand. What??? She just doesn't get it! Holidays are meant for families to be TOGETHER!!! It doesn't seem to be a priority for her, anymore. I don't ask her for much other than to give me a little bit of her time. Why does she seem to have plenty for everyone else in her life, yet her family gets whatever's left?

I don't care how much you love your kids and how much you know they love you, it's still painful when they grow up and have less time for you. If Brittany isn't out, then she's texting 24-7. In fact, I'm to the point where I'm about to call a halt to it. It takes up so much of her life, but she doesn't see it that way! I seriously need the "How to Raise a Teenager Book for Dummies"!

So, you vent all you want. If it's any consolation...I walk in your shoes each and everyday. I GET IT!! *hugs*

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I just read your comment on my post-thank you!
My sis-in-law with teenagers just said to me, "Remember, life is like a book. When my teen boys are the way they are, I remind myself it is only a chapter in their lives." Good idea, I think! Your kids WILL appreciate you-maybe just in the next "chapter"...
Wishing you a great day-oh, and I hope you don't mind, I went to the sight of your Christmas tree and downloaded it too, (thanks? Hope you don't mind!)

Shannon said...

I don't know much about this right now since I dont have any kids but I want to give you a hug. :) It makes me think about when I was a Sr. and what I did at night. From reading your posts I think Big Dan has a LOT more freedom than I did. I always had to be home for dinner except on Wednesday nights because that was youth group and we all went out to dinner afterwards. Anyways, I'm sorry your sad! I hate change too!

beth said...

Your son Dan sounds like he loved living at home when he was younger, so, of course it's harder for him to break free now...hense the comment about be soo excited about living away. I think it says you did such a great job as Mom and he recognizes that, too. Hang in there.

Carrie said...

I don't know if it is hormonal or not, because once again I am right there with you!! Except my oldest (also a Senior and getting ready to go away to college) is a girl. And the comment about Big Dan being so excited to move out...yeah, heard that one too!! And gosh did it hurt!!

I think it is like you said, it isn't like we didn't know this day was coming but not so fast. I remember my kids being babies (my son is only 22 months younger than my daughter...so my days are numbered with BOTH of them)and people telling me to enjoy it while I could. And I always though to myself that they were right. But know here I am 17 and 15 years later and GOSH WERE THEY EVER RIGHT!!! It really does go by fast.

And I don't knw about you but I am having a really hard time with the thought of them not needing me. Not that I don't love my husband and enjoy the "couple" time that we get now with the kids being busy with their own things. BUT I sure do miss them already, and they haven't even left the nest yet!!!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

You need a hug!! I'm not wild about change either. My heart breaks for your change. We don't even have kids yet but I don't think I could let them go either.

Kim Hancock said...

I can't even begin to think about that now. Logan will be 7 in January. TIme is flying by...it feels like just yesterday we were bringing him home!