Monday, November 10, 2008

Family. Awesome Aunt...

is how I want to be remembered when my nephews think of me.

We are a very close knit family on my side. My parents have 5 grandchildren. Big Dan was significantly the "spoiled" one mainly because he was the only one for almost 8 years. He spent lots of time bonding with my parents and I know he holds a very special place in their hearts. And then came along Little Ann. She happens to be the only girl. And I must say she doesn't let them forget it. But when my brother and his wife began having kids, we added 3 more rowdy boys to the bunch. Rowdy, but each one oh so precious in his own way.

I love these boys with a love almost as deep as what I feel for my own children. Over the years they have stayed with me numerous times. I often wonder what they will remember about coming to my house when they are older. I try to make it a memorable experience for them because deep down inside I want to be "their favorite".

This past Sunday the oldest wanted to spend the afternoon with me. When we got home we unloaded a bow and arrow, a bb gun, and a target and Pete went out with he and Little Ann for a little target practice.

Soon Pete headed out to work and I left these two alone with bb guns and a stack of aluminum cans.

My brother wanted to take the older one out for an early morning hunt today, so I got to bring the younger 2 home with me last night.


Now they are gone, and all is quiet again, but I wonder if when they are older they will remember that their Aunt Scrapper Mom:
- let them put up a 3 man tent in her living room.
- played board games with them in said tent.
- let them stay up and watch movies until they finally fell asleep.
- allowed them to trash her living room and make roads for the Thomas trains.
- didn't bother to change them into pajamas.
- let them drink Coke straight out of the bottle...(well, that one just kind of happened... 3 year old in above photograph got to it before I knew it!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They will remember all of it one way or another, very fondly, I'm certain. I only have three nephews, all from my sister, but they have three Aunts on their Daddy's side. They're the ones with all the money flying around, they're the ones that spend time in great holiday destinations, but I'm the Aunty that wins the "fave Aunty" title hands down; 'cause I make the best 'cloud' beds for the five of them when they're all in together, they get to be arty, and they've access to some great trees for climbing, and my cuddles are almost as good as Mum's when they're here. And they tell me that, and how they love me, and I know that these are things that they will remember when they're older, 'cause some of my best childhood memories are of doing simple things with my Aunty...

Aren't they little treasures!!! I get what you mean about feeling the "almost as deep" love for them as for your own children. It's a very precious and unique bond, I think.

This is a lovely post...

April said...

I can guarantee that they will remember all the great times they shared with you! No doubt about it! Kids are all about having fun and being silly and when an adult does those things with them, it makes a lasting impression. I can still recall things I did with some of my aunts and uncles when I was younger. Great times that I won't ever forget!

Your nephews are very lucky to have you for an aunt...one who's not afraid to let loose and have some fun. That, to me, is what it's all about!

hsmomma said...

I can most definitely relate with you on this one. I call my nephew my "sixth child". I love him every bit as deeply as my own. And since I am the only aunt he is ever around, I don't think I have any problem being his fave!!

Anonymous said...

They will remember and hopefully reciprocate with their own children and family members!

Cheers!
Jamie