Friday, January 16, 2009

I Love This Man

That's the best title I could come up with.....because I really do love this man.

This is my dad. He's been my dad for 38 years and I hope he's my dad for many more. Today is his birthday. And I know the day is almost over, but I just couldn't go to bed until I told you just how special he is to me.

November 2008

I have spent the last few hours going through albums, and searching folders on my computer for my favorite pictures of my dad.

Me and My Dad, July 1973

Dad's a handsome fella, isn't he? You know, unfortunately, I have a terrible memory, but I have a feeling I was quite the daddy's girl. I have pictures of me and my dad with puppies. I have pictures of me and my dad with watermelon, me and my dad wrestling. Pictures of us together sporting our dead ducks and dead squirrels. I must say, I'm sure my dad was happy to have his boy come along. Not that I lost any rank as his firstborn. My daddy and I have always had a good relationship and I love him more today than I ever have.

Me and My Dad, Father's Day - June 2006

For what's not to love. The only thing that has changed about my daddy over the years is that he has only gotten sweeter. I love his sweet, tender disposition. This man has never met a stranger and everybody loves him. All of my "simplicity" comes from him, for he is happiest doing the simple things in life.....much like his own father. I love that he raises vegetables in a garden and shares with me. I love so much that he raises animals and delights when his grandkids come help him milk the cows..(and drink it).

I love how much he's earned my respect over the years because he fought and and was wounded in Vietnam for my country. How he sacrificed so much of his time and many years of his life making a living at the Railroad for us to have the nicer things in life. He is a wonderful husband of 40 years to my mom and would literally die for her. I love how he is a hard working man...not afraid to tackle any job. Even cutting and sawing down the very logs that were used to build his and my mother's home and even mine and Big Dan's first house.

I love how he loves me and has been there for me through thick and thin....even when I've dissapointed him and made him cry.

My Daddy holding his first grandchild, Big Dan. October 30, 1990

My Wedding Day - July 1993

I love how he makes me laugh...because he is quite comical. And the funniest thing is, he doesn't even know he is. It makes me laugh at how he can sit down in a chair and be asleep in 10 seconds flat. It makes me laugh that he gets coffee from sun up to sun down no matter what temperature it is outside. It makes me laugh that he strikes up a conversation with anybody anywhere. I laugh (with him, not at him) when I think of all the cuts, scrapes, bruises and "smashed" toes he's had over the years, and the stress he's caused my mom because he's just an accident waiting to happen. It makes me laugh that he annoys my mother so much by collecting these and storing them in her yard as his new retirement day hobby. (but she doesn't complain when he brings in the money off ebay...lol)

I love how he wants to spend as much time as possible with his grandchildren and takes them on hunting excursions and enjoys every second.

Papaw and Little Ann (and of course, Susie and a squirrel) - November 2008

and how he has been my traveling companion to every away basketball game Big Dan has ever played....(and baseball too). How he has rooted him on and praised his efforts for a job well done.

My dad loves his family and that is no secret. What a wonderful husband, father, and grandfather he is.....and what a legacy to leave behind. My dad is none less than the most precious person I have ever known and I thank God for him every day.

Christmas Eve at my Brother's - December 2006

and I am also so very thankful I am so much like my dad. Happy, loving, forgiving....simple. There isn't anyone I would rather replicate.

Happy Birthday Daddy!

4 comments:

Sissy said...

My late father's birthday was also the 16th! What a coicidence...I posted about my dad, but I didn't drag out the old photos. You are brave.

Love the curly hair in the wedding photo!

April said...

What an amazingly BEAUTIFUL tribute to your dad! What you shared is definitely "straight from the heart". Really blew me away, especially since my dad is no longer here. Makes me miss him all the more. Cherish the time you have with your dad!!!

Thank you for posting this...you touched me deeply and I can only imagine how your dad must feel if he reads it. You will share it with him, won't you? Great pics, too!

Thanks for your prayers for Harper!!! The Good Lord is definitely listening!

emily freeman said...

I teared up during this post, surprising myself with the sudden rush of emotion.

I think I was thinking of my own Dad and how many of the things you said about yours I think of mine as well. And how important it is to say these things out loud while he is alive and able to receive them and be blessed by them.

I was also thinking of my girls and how I know one day, 35 years from now, they will be able to write of their own daddy. I wonder what they will say and what things they will remember.

Your photos are precious and your words, even more so. Thank you for sharing them.

Shannon said...

What a great post! Loved reading the tribute.