Sunday, January 18, 2009

Today I am thanking God

First for just some small, insignificant things, like the energy He enabled me to find this week to be consistent in my "biggest loser" workout all 5 days. (yeah, I took the weekend off....so.)

For giving me the power to sit still long enough to (almost) finish an entire book...which we all know is an unattainable act for me, but I've prayed for His guidance in helping me get my finances back on track and am super excited about the direction He is leading me.

For allowing me to get control of my hormones, my life back to reality and finally a clearer complexion.

And yes, though maybe a bit shallow, I'm being honest with you in sharing these smaller things in life I am thankful for.

And I'm thankful for some bigger things too. Like the fact that today is my mother's birthday. And I am so blessed to have had her in my life for this many years and I'm looking forward to many more.

My mom and I - Fall 1973

She has been my rock throughout my life and as I've said before I know no matter where life's road takes me, she will always be my constant.

October 1990 - Baby Shower for Big Dan

But today, I am most thankful for these precious two people.

We got word that for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, Big Dan has lost one of his classmates. The first girl passed away in a one vehicle car accident just a few miles up the road. If that wasn't disturbing enough, we found out last night that another girl in his class had just passed away in a four wheeler accident. I must say, I was so shocked and can't even tell you how sad I feel for her grandparents, parents and siblings. Our school is very small, with only about 50 in Big Dan's graduating class, so anytime anything like this happens, it is so hard on the kids and the entire community. Please remember this family when you pray.

It's no secret the love I hold for my children. Just knowing that I could lose them any day makes me want to hold on to them that much tighter.

And can I just say this......if you truly love your children, the most precious gift you can give them is the opportunity to know the Lord as their personal Savior.

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment." Hebrews 9:27

5 comments:

Kim Hancock said...

Thanks for sharing... love the photos! Sorry to hear about Dan's classmates. My husband and I really don't keep up with anyone we went o school with. Our graduating class was just 650 so it was mostly all business.

Heidi Zawisza said...

Now I see why you asked me if I read your blog!! I think God is moving in a big way in the area of finances with people. People (including us...) are just WAY out of control and not being good stewards of what he has entrusted us with. Craig and I made New Years goals in reguards to finances, and then our pastor started this series. We are in AWE!

I am so sorry about the death in the school. SO very sad and also probablly my greatest fear if I'm being honest. I will pray for your family as you deal with this, and also the whole community.

April said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! Love the photos you posted!

That is so sad that your son lost two of his classmates in just two weeks! How very tragic! I graduated in a class of only 50, too, and we were like family, so I completely understand. We need to hold tightly to our children because we never know when things might change. I'll be saying a prayer for the families!

Melissa Stover said...

oh your mother's hair in that first picture! awesome!

hsmomma said...

I agree, everytime I hear of something like this it gives me fresh perspective on appreciating my children.

(BTW: how'd you clear your skin up?? Share the secret!) :)