Thursday, May 21, 2009

Proud Moments - Part III

I have to admit, sometimes I felt like I was boring you to death with my baseball posts and pictures, but I have some friends and family that actually may've been interested in keeping up with Big Dan and our team's progress. And then, of course, there are others of you that I know have kids in competitive sports that can totally understand how these things can consume your life for a season. And there is no feeling in the world like the feeling you get watching your child excel.

If you kept up with my blog, you will know that our school is a small school. A 2A classification. It is the school I graduated from and although it is growing, we will always remain close knit and be oh so proud of our achievements. Our baseball coach actually graduated a year ahead of me, coached one year at the college level, and then came back home to his roots to take our little school to do great things where baseball is concerned. He is one of the best coaches in our state...and everybody knows it.

Not only is our team full of talented players (that sometimes works to a disadvantage when you have so many that can play so well)....(at least for Big Dan). That kind of meant less playing time when he had to share the spot for 1st base, and his competition was also a Senior and had a better batting average. Oh Well. Anyway, not only are they good athletes, but they have good attitudes. Our coach has led us to the State level for the past 3 years in a row taking home the title last year.

We made it to the Championship game this year as well....and I must say, I was proud.

Proud to be a citizen of our community. Proud to have a student at this school. Proud to have a talented athlete on this winning team. What an exciting day.

The game was crazy. We made a few errors, had a few bad calls, had a 30 minute rain delay, and ultimately lost the game by one point.

But Big Dan played. And he played hard.

And he cheered hard...for the last batter who would feel the pressure. Big Dan is on 3rd and one run would tie the game. Not to mention it was the last out. What a nail biting moment.

But it was a line drive to shortstop.

So the game would be over. I'll never forget those long faces and tears that ran down the black marked cheeks of those tough baseball guys. They wanted it so bad.

Runners up or not. They played their hearts out and I was so happy that Big Dan could be a part of something so memorable.

And Proud.

Proud: (adjective) Feeling or showing pride. Having self-esteem. Very pleased.

Photo taken on Kris' home town visit. Little Rock, Arkansas

And have I mentioned how proud I am to be from the great state of Arkansas today?


2 comments:

April said...

Congrats to your son's team for fighting for the championship to the bitter end! Runners up is a great place to be and they should all hold their heads up HIGH! Yes, I was so thrilled when Kris won "American Idol" last night! I was, literally, shouting to the tops of my lungs! He SO deserved it!

Robyn said...

Does Tommy R. still coach there? congrats on the great season!!