Friday, May 29, 2009

When Your Efforts Feel Kinda..Well...Worthless

First let me just start out by saying that those that know me knows it takes great effort for me to get out of bed in the morning. I am known for loving my sleep. I've never been much of a napper (aside from Sunday afternoon's), but I have and will probably always be a night owl. Staying up late every night can only mean sleeping in every morning. Yes, I do have to get up early to get the kids off to school, but once they are out and the house is quiet...my bed calls to me.

And I just can't resist.

Sleeping in though, most definitely has it's side effects for sure. By the time I get going, it seems my day is almost over. My energy levels are low, and I find myself needing a break between tasks. And I don't want you to mistake me here. I DON'T leave things undone and I DO make sure the mommy mobile gets where it needs to be. I'm just saying, I have to make myself trudge through the day and I don't want it to be that way.

Pete and I both have had a desire lately. One that seems stronger than my desire for sleep. It is to get healthy, gain energy and lose weight. I am short and petite and it seems that every pound I gain goes right straight to the behind. The older we get, the easier the weight is to gain, but the harder it is to lose so Pete and I decided it was time to jump on the bandwagon, eat better...(and here's the biggie)...exercise.

It has done great things for my energy levels. I have been getting up earlier, we have been walking 4 miles each morning and I must say I can get so much more accomplished the rest of the day, but the scales? They just don't seem to be moving.

Somebody explain to me why I can completely alter my diet (weight watchers), drink 64 ounces of WATER a day, walk 4 miles a day, and not lose weight. I mean, c'mon. If I'm going to live out of my element here, I want results, people. Is that too much to ask?

I'm thinking my scales are broken. Yeah, that's what it is. My scales are broken.

Oh woe is me. What am I doing wrong? I feel better, so I guess it hasn't all been for naught!

4 comments:

April said...

Don't you dare give up or get discouraged...you're doing great! Hang in there and it will all pay off! Keep on keepin' on!

Rae said...

If it makes you feel any better I GAINED 4 pounds this week and I have been eating healthy AND exercising daily. What is that all about? Sometimes it stinks being a girl!! Keep your chin up and I will too!

hsmomma said...

Did you measure yourself before you started. Sometimes you actually lose inches and build muscle--which would cause the scale not to move. (Not that I would know of course.....).

My husband and I have had the same convictions and are working at it too. It is SO hard! Hang in there!

Carrie said...

Don't get discouraged Scrapper Mom, making the step to eat right and excercise is the hardest part!! And for that fact alone, you should feel very proud!!

I wish I could get that motivated!! I agree with hsmomma5, measure yourself...most of the time you will lose inches before pounds.

Keep up the good work...I promise it WILL pay off!!

Hugs!! Carrie♥